1. Does UMSL have a policy or procedures regarding students with disabilities?

      • Yes, Executive Order No. 21 was implemented on 11/1/84 and amended 2/25/97. The current policy is 240.040 Policy Related to Students with Disabilities, which covers all four UM campuses. This policy ensures that mandated reasonable classroom accommodations are provided to students with disabilities and eliminates the need for faculty to make accessibility/accommodation decisions. http://www.umsystem.edu/uminfo/rules/programs/240040.htm

    1. How will I know that a student is eligible to receive reasonable classroom accommodations for my course?

      • The student will deliver a personal/confidential notification memo identifying himself/herself as a registrant with Disability Access Services. This memo will also include the eligible classroom accommodations that he/she may need in your course.

    1. Exactly what do I do when I am handed a disability notification memo?

      • Students with disabilities are responsible for introducing themselves to you and informing you that they plan to use the requested accommodations listed in the memo. Please note, the memo says that the student is eligible for, but may or may not need, the accommodations in every course. Students are encouraged to meet individually with their professors during office hours or a scheduled appointment. During this meeting, discuss how the accommodations will be arranged with the student.

    1. What if I am handed a notification memo by a student late in the semester and the accommodations are requested?

      • Begin accommodations at that point. Accommodations are not retroactive. Exams taken prior to official requests are over and done. If a student comes to you after they've taken an exam, done poorly, and says, “I really should have had extended time,” it is too late for that exam. The accommodation will be applied to future exams.

    1. What should I do when a student identifies him/herself to me without any notification from DAS and requests extended time for exams or other accommodations?

      • Inform the student that the University has a policy and procedure for providing accommodations that must be followed and refer them to Disability Access Services.

    1. What should I do when it is the day of my exam and a student franticly informs me that he/she must have extended test time?

      • Do not be intimidated into placing yourself in the uncomfortable position of determining if a student is eligible to receive classroom accommodations particularly on the day of your exam. You have the right to say, "I'm sorry, but those arrangements must be made in advance. I can not accommodate you today for this exam. I will need to reschedule the exam after you have been to Disability Access Services." Refer them to the DAS office. DAS will determine if the student has an appropriately documented and diagnosed disability and is eligible to receive the accommodation. This legally covers you and prevents you from providing something to a student who may not be eligible; therefore, discriminating and being unfair to the rest of your class.

    1. What if a student presents medical documentation to me and requests accommodations?

      • Never accept disability evaluations or medical documentation from a student. This information is confidential and should be on file in the Disability Access Office. You do not want to be responsible for keeping confidential information confidential.
        You may accept doctor's statements for absences from your class. These statements do not include detailed information regarding the student's specific medical diagnosis and condition. You do need to verify that an absence was for legitimate medical reasons and that the student was seen and treated by the doctor on that given day and time. Other detailed information can prove to be uncomfortable knowledge to possess and more than you ever wanted to know or deal with.

    1. John Doe brought his notification memo to me. John doesn’t appear to understand the lecture and is not passing any of my exams. He isn’t passing my course. What should I do about his grade?

      • You have provided John Doe with his reasonable classroom accommodations and made your course accessible to him. You must now evaluate this student according to the grade that he earns, just like the other students in your course. As you would for other students, consider using the Academic Alert system to refer him to campus offices that can support his academic success.

    1. What should be done with the hard copies of the confidential disability information after the student’s eligible accommodations have been established in my class?

      • You will be advised to shred any confidential disability information provided by the individual student! Disability Access Services will always have a copy of the master notification memos and disability documentation on file.

    1. Where can students with disabilities take exams?

      • Students requesting extended time, or other eligible testing accommodations, have a few options for testing. Students have the option of testing in the Disability Access Services office (144 MSC) or at the Campus Testing Center (93 JCP). Please discuss with students your preference for a testing location so that students schedule exam appointments well in advance and in environments free of distractions.

  1. How to I provide accommodations in an online course?

    • Disability Access Services staff has worked to ensure that online courses, administered through MyGateway, are accessible for all students. If a student requests extended time on an online exam, the time clock can be adjusted for that particular student or the exam can be manually graded. Students with disabilities can take online exam through the DAS office if a proctor is needed. For specific instructions, please contact the Faculty Resource Center at 516-6704.