||Curators' Distinguished Professor Alexei Demchenko received his training in Moscow, Russia, at the Mendeleyev University of Chemical Technology and the N. D. Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences. He did post-docs at the Universities of Birmingham (UK) and Georgia (US) prior to joining UMSL in 2001.
Fax: (314) 516-5342
Office: B 419
Tel: (314) 516-7995
(Alexei Demchenko Laboratory Homepage)
- Stereochemical and other mechanistic aspects of chemical glycosylation. Novel glycosylation reactions.
- Regioselective protection of carbohydrate molecules. Design and application of modern protecting groups and strategies to the synthesis of versatile building blocks.
- Metal complexes in synthetic carbohydrate chemistry: direction of the stereoselectivity of glycosylation, regioselectivity, activation, temporary deactivation, switchable stereoselectivity, etc.
- Expeditious strategies for the synthesis of complex oligosaccharides and glycoconjugates: chemoselectivity, and orthogonality of modern glycosyl donors.
- Solid phase and surface chemistry: application to stereoselective glycosylation and rapid assembly of complex oligosaccharides and glycopeptides.
- Combinatorial chemistry and automated synthesis. New platforms and technologies for automated oligosaccharide synthesis: STICS and HPLC approaches.
- Fully synthetic glycopharmaceuticals based on carbohydrates with potential biological activity (anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial, etc).
- Synthetic glycoproteins, glycopeptides, glycopolymers, glycolipids, glycoheterocycles, glycoaminoacids and combinations thereof. Synthetic glycoconjugate vaccines.
- Human milk oligosaccharides and other food additives and ingredients. Oligosaccharides as prebiotics.
A video presentation on Dr Demchenko's current research is available here.
″A Streamlined Regenerative Glycosylation Reaction: Direct, Acid-Free Activation of Thioglycosides,″ S. Escopy, Y. Singh, K. J. Stine and A. V. Demchenko, Chem.- A Eur. J. 2021, 27, 361.
″Stereocontrolled α-Galactosylation under Cooperative Catalysis,″ M. Shadrick, Y. Singh and A. V. Demchenko, J. Org. Chem. 2020, 85, 15936.″Synthesis of oligosaccharide fragments of capsular polysaccharide Staphylococcus aureus type, 8″ S. Visansirikul, S. A. Kolodziej and A. V. Demchenko, J. Carbohydrate Chem. 2020, 39, 301.
" A pH-sensitive thiolated β-cyclodextrin-modified naonporous gold for controlled release of doxorbin," D. Neupane, J. K. Bhattarai, A. V. Demchenko and K. J. Stine, J. Drug Deliv. Sci. & Tech. 2020, 60, 101985.
″A versatile approach to the synthesis of mannosamine glycosides,″ C. Alex, S. Visansirikul and A. V. Demchenko, Org. & Biomol. Chem. 2020, 18, 6682.
″Indolylthio Glycosides As Effective Building Blocks for Chemical Glycosylation,″ G. Shrestha, M. Panza, Y. Singh, N. P. Rath and A. V. Demchenko, J. Org. Chem., 2020, 85, 15885.
″Picoloyl protecting group in synthesis: focus on a highly chemoselective catalytic removal, ″ S. A. Geringer, M. P. Mannino, M. D. Bandara and A. V. Demchenko, Org. & Biomol. Chem. 2020, 18, 4863
″A Highly Efficient Glycosidation of Glycosyl Chlorides by Using Cooperative Silver(I) Oxide-Triflic Acid Catalysis″, S. A. Geringer, Y. Singh, D. J. Hoard and A. A. Demchenko, Chem. - A Eur. J. 2020, 26, 8053.
″The development of a dedicated polymer support for the solid phase oligosaccharide synthesis,″ M. Panza, D. Neupane, K. J. Stine and A. V. Demchenko. Chem. Comm., 2020, 56, 10568.
″HPLC-assisted automated oligosaccharide synthesis: the implementation of the two-way split valve as a mode of complete automation″, M. Panza, K. J. Stine and A. V. Demchenko, Chem. Commun. 2020 56, 1333.
″Chemical synthesis of human milk oligisaccharides: lacto-N-neohexaose (Galβ1→4GlcNAcβ1→)2,3,6Galβ1→ 4GlC″, M. D. Bandara, K. J. Stine and A. V. Demchenko, Org & Biomol. Chem. 2020, 18, 1747
″Staphylococcus aureus capsular polysaccharides: a structural and synthetic perspective″, S. Visansirikul, S. J. Kolodziej and A. V. Demchenko, Org. & Biomol. Chem. 2020, 18, 783.
″Synthesis of β-Glucosides with 3-O-Picoloyl-Protected Glycosyl Donors in the Presence of Excess Triflic Acid: Defining the Scope″, M. P. Mannino and A. V. Demchenko, Chem. - A Eur. J. 2020, 26, 2938.
″Synthesis of β-Glucosides with 3-O-Picoloyl-Protected Glycosyl Donors in the Presence of Excess Triflic Acid: A Mechanistic Study″, M. P. Mannino and A. V. Demchenko, Chem. - A Eur. J. 2020, 26, 2927.
″Defining the Scope of the Acid-Catalyzed Glycosidation of Glycosyl Bromides″, Y. Singh and A. V. Demchenko, Chem.- A Eur. J. 2020, 26, 1042.
″Synthesis of 2-azido-2-deoxy- and 2-acetamido-2-deoxy-D-manno derivatives as versatile building blocks″, C. Alex, S. Visansirikul, Y. Zhang, J. P. Yasomanee, J. Codee and A. V. Demchenko. Carbohydrate Res. 2020, 488, 107900.