Cynthia M. Dupureur, Interim Department Chair
Undergraduate Program Overview
Degree Programs In Biochem and Biotech
Chemistry Tutoring Service
Undergraduate Scholarships and Awards
Research for Undergraduates
Chemistry & Biochemistry: Summer 2016
UG TA Application
Graduate Program Overview
Application to Graduate Program
Graduate Student Seminars
Robert W. Murray Lecture
Visiting Speaker Seminars
Distinguished Alumni Lecture
Professor Demchenko received his M. Sc. in Chemical Engineering from the D. I. Mendeleyev University of Chemical Technology of Russia, Moscow (1988) and his Ph. D. in Organic Chemistry from the N. D. Zelinsky Institute of Organic Chemistry, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow (1993). He was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Birmingham, (UK) and a research assistant at the Complex Carbohydrate Research Center at the University of Georgia before joining the UMSL faculty in 2001. He was appointed Curators' Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry in 2014.
- Novel glycosylation reactions, methods and approaches. Stereocontrol and other aspects of 1,2-cis-glycosidic bond formation. β-Mannosylation.
- New methods and approaches to the complementary synthesis of 1,2-trans-glycosidic bond. Base-stable arming participating groups.
- Thioimidates as glycosyl donors for stereoselective glycosylation and versatile building blocks for convergent oligosaccharide synthesis.
- Highly efficient strategies for the synthesis of complex oligosaccharides and glycoconjugates: selectivity, chemoselectivity, and orthogonality of modern glycosyl donors.
- Transition metal complexes in synthetic carbohydrate chemistry: direction of the stereoselectivity of glycosylation, temporary deactivation, etc.
- Regioselective protection of carbohydrate molecules. Design and application of modern protecting groups and strategies to the synthesis of versatile building blocks.\
- Fully synthetic therapeutics based on oligosaccharides with potential biological activity (HIV, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antibiotics, antiviral, antifungal, etc.). Synthetic glycoproteins, glycopeptides, glycopolymers, glycolipids, glycoheterocycles, and glycodendrimers.
- Glycosphingolipids and other biologically important sialic acid containing glycoconjugates. Structurally modified neuraminic acid derivatives: chemo-enzymatic synthesis, derivatization, chemical and enzymatic sialylation.
- Solid phase and surface chemistry: application to stereoselective glycosylation and rapid assembly of complex oligosaccharides and glycopeptides. Combinatorial chemistry.
″The synthesis of the repeating unit of capsular polysaccharide Staphylococcus aureus type 5 to study chemical activation and conjugation of native CP5,″ J. P. Yasomanee, S. Visansirikul, P. Pornsuriyasak, M. Thompson, S. A. Kolodziej and A. V. Demchenko, J. Org. Chem. 2016, Ahead of Print.
″Templated Oligosaccharide Synthesis: The Linker Effect on the Stereoselectivity of Glycosylation,″ P. Pornsuriyasak, Papapida; X. G. Jia, S. Kaeothip and A. V. Demchenko, Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 2316.
″2,3-Di-O-picolinyl building blocks as glycosyl donors with switchable stereoselectivity,″ J. P. Yasomanee, A. R. Parameswar, P. Pornsuriyasak, N. P. Rath and A. V. Demchenko, Org. & Biomol. Chem. 2016, 14, 3159.
″A Concise Synthesis of the Repeating Unit of Capsular Polysaccharide Staphylococcus aureus Type 8″, S. Visansirikul, J. Yasomanee, P. Pornsuriyasak, M. N. Kamat, N. M. Podvalnyy, C. P. Gobble, M. Thompson, S. A. Kolodziej and A. V. Demchenko, Org Lett. 2015, 17, 2382.
“Hydrogen-Bonded Mediated Aglycone Delivery (HAD): A highly Stereoselective Synthesis of 1,2-cis-a-D-Glucosides from Common Glycoside Donors”’ J. Yasomanee and A. V. Demchenko, Chem. A Eur. J. 2015, 21, 6572.
“Electrochemical annealing of nanoporous gold by application of cyclic potential sweeps”, A. Sharma, J. K. Bhattarai, A. J. Alla, A. V. Demchenko and K. J. Stine, Nanotechnology 2015, 26, 85602.
“Stereocontrolled 1,2-cis glycosylation as the driving force of progress in synthetic carbohydrate chemistry”, S. Nigudkar and A. V. Demchenko, Chem. Science 2015, 6, 2687
"Electrochemical Synthesis of Nanostructured Gold Film for the Study of Carbohydrate-Lectin Interactions Using Localized Surface Plasmon Resonance Spectroscopy”, J. K. Bhattarai, A. Sharma, K. Fujikawa, Al. V. Demchenko, and K. J. Stine, Carbohydrate Res, 2015,405, 55
"Hydrogen bond mediated aglycone delivery: Synthesis of linear and branched α-glucans″, J. P. Yasomanee and A. V. Demchenko, Angew Chem. Intl Ed. 2014, 3, 10453.
″Glycosyl alkoxythioimidates as building blocks for glycosylation: a reactivity study″ S. C. Ranade and A. V. Demchenko, Carbohydrate Res. 2014, 403, 115.
"2-acylamido analogues of n-acetylglucosamine prime formation of chitin oligosaccharides by yeast chitin synthase 2,"J. Gyore, A. R. Parameswar, C. F. F. Hebbard, Y. Oh, E. Bi, A. V. Demchenko, N. P. Price and P. Orlean, J. Biol. Chem. 2014, 289, 12835
"Hydrogen-bond-mediated aglycone delivery: Focus on β-mannosylation," S. G. Pistorio, J. P. Yasomanee and A. V. Demchenko," Org. Lett. 2014, 16, 716
“Regenerative Glycosylation under Nucleophilic Catalysis”, S. S. Nigudkar, K. J. Stine and A. V. Demchenko, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2014, 126, 921.
"Square-wave voltammetry assays for glycoproteins on nanoporous gold," B. Pandey, J. K. Bhattarai, P. Pornsuriyasak, K. Fujikawa,R. Catania, A. V. Demchenko and K. J. Stine, J. Electroanal. Chem. 2014, 717/718, 47.
"A Comparative Study of Glycosyl Thioimidates as Building Blocks for Chemical Glycosylation," S. C. Ranade, S. J. Hasty and A. V. Demchenko, J. Carbohydrate Chem. 2013, 32, 360.