Workshops and Events
Research Enabled Portal
Sponsored Programs Administration
Planning Your Proposal
Submitting Your Proposal
Award Process & Management
IP Management & Commercialization
For UMSL Inventors
For UMSL Entrepreneurs
Disclose Your Invention
Animal Subjects (IACUC)
Conflict of Interest
Human Subjects (IRB)
Proposals, Grants and Contracts
International Activities Disclosures
Economic & Community Development
Center for Neurodynamics (CND)
Community Innovation & Action Center (CIAC)
Missouri Institute of Mental Health (MIMH)
Download the Budget Checklist (PDF 60KB)
The following budget templates are available from the UMSL College of Education web site. The templates are not specific to the COE and can be used by PIs from any unit on campus to generate budgets.
- After formulating an idea for a project, transform the idea into a short concept paper that describes the work to be done.
- Identify the appropriate sponsor(s).
- Contact Brenda Stutte (314-516-5897) or Melissa Laurenti (314-516-5894) to review what training you will need in order to enter your budget into PeopleSoft. Refer to the Staff Responsibilities Guide to determine your appropriate contact by department/unit.
- Visit the sponsor web site and familiarize yourself with their guidelines and procedures.
- Take your short concept and prepare a draft proposal and an outlined budget (refer to the Budget Checklist and Budget Templates, both of which are found under "Budgets" on the "Resources" page).
- Circulate the draft proposal to colleagues and the Research Development team for comments. The Research Development team can assist throughout the proposal writing process: helping to plan, develop, and review proposals. For multidisciplinary and institutional proposals, contact Cynthia Jobe (314-516-6574). For individual investigator proposals, contact Jackson Medel (314-516-4727).
- Discuss the proposal budget with Brenda Stutte (314-516-5897) or Melissa Laurenti (314-516-5894). Refer to the Staff Responsibilities Guide (PDF 145KB) to determine your appropriate contact by department/unit. NOTE: When preparing a grant proposal, you must submit your budget to the Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA) office at least two weeks before the proposal submission deadline.
- Ensure regulatory compliance by securing approval for the use in your research of human subjects, animal subjects, radioactive material or recombinant DNA research (if applicable).
- Complete the PeopleSoft Signature page.
- Submit your final proposal to SPA.