Common Searches

Students must apply to UMSL before being considered for admission to the Joint Engineering Program. Admission to the Joint Engineering Program is normally granted to persons who have completed the pre-engineering program with a minimum grade point average of 2.75 over all mathematics, chemistry, physics, and introductory engineering courses (statics and dynamics).

Students with less than a 2.75 grade point average, but at least a C, in all their science, engineering and mathematics courses may appeal and be admitted on a conditional basis. Students may be admitted to the Joint Engineering Program upper level engineering fall, spring and summer. 

Students often take their pre-engineering courses - the first half of their course work in mathematics, physics, chemistry, humanities and social science, and selected elementary engineering subjects at UMSL. Many students enter the program when they have completed their associate’s degrees at one of the many area community colleges where we have articulation agreements.

Area Community Colleges
St. Louis Community College at Florissant St. Charles County Community College
St. Louis Community College at Forest Park East Central College
St. Louis Community College at Meramec Jefferson College
St. Louis Community College at Wildwood Mineral Area College

Transferring engineering courses

Engineering courses are reviewed by Washington University engineering faculty. Submit the Engineering Course Evaluation Request Form with course description, syllabus, title and author of text to mcmanus@umsl.edu 

Engineering courses completed at schools outside the U.S.

Credit completed outside of the United States cannot be evaluated before application. UMSL's Office of International Students & Scholars Services evaluates international coursework only at the time of application.

The Engineering Dept. uses a course validation process. Engineering courses must be validated prior to consideration for transfer credit. Once a student is admitted to the upper level engineering, they may discuss course validation with their WU faculty advisor. Validation requires enrollment in a WU Advisor approved upper level engineering course in the major, completed with an earned grade of C or higher. At that time, the engineering course may be reviewed for transfer credit. 

Applying for Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial aid is through Student Financial Services and you may complete the UMSL Online Scholarship Application by April 1.