About the ORA
Vice Provost for Research
Proposals, Grants, and Contracts
Submitting a Proposal
Internal Funding Opportunities
Technology Transfer and Economic Development
For UMSL Inventors
National Academy of Inventors (NAI)
Animal Subjects (IACUC)
Conflict of Interest
Human Subjects (IRB)
Proposals, Grants and Contracts
Animal Welfare Unit
Resources and Reports
The ORA is the central office for managing proposal submissions, contract negotiations, award acceptance, and research compliance and ethics. The office assists faculty in obtaining and administering externally funded research grants and contracts and administers internal grant programs.
The ORA can provide assistance and guidance at every stage of the application process:
- Identifying funding opportunities
- Proposal preparation and review, budget development, and proposal submission
- Initiation of contact with program officers of the proposed sponsor and negotiation of terms for awards and contracts
- Receipt of awards and establishment of accounts
- Post-award administrative functions: re-budgeting, time extensions, and tracking of technical reports
ORA grants and contracts staff each cover specific departments and units. Download a chart of responsibilities and contact information here.
- After formulating an idea for a project, transform the idea into a short concept paper that describes the work to be done.
- Identify the appropriate sponsor(s). UMSL employees have access to the Pivot Database of funding opportunities.
- Contact Brenda Stutte (314-516-5897) or Melissa Laurenti (314-516-5894) to review what training you will need in order to enter your budget into PeopleSoft. Refer to the Staff Responsibilities Guide to determine your appropriate contact by department/unit.
- Visit the sponsor web site and familiarize yourself with their guidelines and procedures.
- Take your short concept and prepare a draft proposal and an outlined budget (refer to Budget Checklist and Budget Templates).
- Circulate the draft proposal to colleagues for comments. The ORA can also assist with review of your narrative — contact Tamara Wilgers (314-516-6884).
- Discuss the proposal budget with Brenda Stutte (314-516-5897) or Melissa Laurenti (314-516-5894). Refer to the Staff Responsibilities Guide to determine your appropriate contact by department/unit. NOTE: When preparing a grant proposal, you must submit your budget to the ORA at least two weeks before the proposal submission deadline.
- Ensure regulatory compliance by securing approval for the use in your research of human subjects, animal subjects, radioactive material or recombinant DNA research (if applicable).
- Complete the PeopleSoft Signature page.
- Submit your final proposal to the ORA.