Office of Research Administration
Proposals, Grants and Contracts
The ORA is the central office for managing proposal submissions,
contract negotiations, award acceptance, and research compliance and
ethics. The office assists faculty in obtaining and administering
externally funded research grants and contracts and administers internal
The ORA can provide assistance and guidance at every stage of the application process:
- Identifying funding opportunities
- Proposal preparation and review, budget development, and proposal submission
- Initiation of contact with program officers of the proposed sponsor and negotiation of terms for awards and contracts
- Receipt of awards and establishment of accounts
- Post-award administrative functions: re-budgeting, time extensions, and tracking of technical reports
Grant Proposal Quick Guide
- After formulating an idea for a project, transform the
idea into a short concept paper that describes the work to be done.
- Identify the appropriate sponsor(s).
UMSL employees have access to the Pivot Database of funding opportunities.
- Contact Brenda Stutte (314-516-5897) or Melissa Laurenti (314-516-5894) to review what training you will need in order to enter your budget into PeopleSoft. Refer to the Staff Responsibilities Guide to determine your appropriate contact by department/unit.
- Visit the sponsor web site and familiarize yourself with their guidelines and procedures.
- Take your short concept and prepare a draft proposal and an outlined budget (refer to Budget Checklist and Budget Templates).
- Circulate the draft proposal to colleagues for comments. The ORA can also assist with review of your narrative — contact Tamara Wilgers (314-516-6884).
- Discuss the proposal budget with Brenda Stutte (314-516-5897) or Melissa Laurenti (314-516-5894). Refer to the Staff Responsibilities Guide to determine your appropriate contact by department/unit. NOTE: When preparing a grant proposal, you must
submit your budget to the ORA at least two weeks before the proposal
- Ensure regulatory compliance by securing approval for the use in your research of human subjects, animal subjects, radioactive material or recombinant DNA research (if applicable).
- Complete the PeopleSoft Signature page.
- Submit your final proposal to the ORA.
If you have any
questions along the way or trouble finding something on our web site,
please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org