May 6, 2022 - Executive Search: Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost
Dear UMSL Community,
As we bring a close to the spring 2022 semester, the University of Missouri–St. Louis is well positioned to enter our 60th year of serving the St. Louis region with a renewed sense of hope, as well as a recommitment to deliver on our mission to transform lives.
In the spirit of this pledge, plans are underway to launch a search for the university’s next Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost. The search will begin in mid- to late-August, utilizing the support of the University of Missouri System Executive Recruitment Team, led by Senior Director of Recruitment Tim McIntosh. The campus search committee will be chaired by Chief of Staff Adella Jones. Their efforts will help guide the process that leads to the selection of the next provost and academic leader of our university.
The VCAA & Provost is the leader of our core mission that focuses on the growth, development and education of our students, and oversees our colleges and academic units including student affairs, global studies, teaching and learning, student academic support services, enrollment management, registration, financial aid, and workforce integration (view org chart). This role is crucial as we move forward and continue our development as the region’s premier public research university and a national urban/metropolitan leader in public higher education.
I am proud to announce that the following individuals, representing a large cross-section of constituencies across the university, have agreed to serve on the VCAA & Provost search committee:
- Adella Jones, Chief of Staff, Committee Chair
- Tanisha Stevens, Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Ed Munn Sanchez, Dean, Pierre Laclede Honors College
- Matt Taylor, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, Associate Professor of Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences
- Gerald Gao, Associate Dean of Research and Faculty Affairs, Professor of Marketing, College of Business Administration
- Vanessa Loyd, Professor of Nursing, Fellow for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, College of Nursing
- April Regester, Association Professor and Chair, Department of Educational Preparation and Leadership, College of Education
- Jon McGinnis, Professor and Chair, Department of Philosophy, College of Arts and Sciences, Chair of the Faculty Senate and Assembly
- Wendy Olivas, Associate Professor and Chair, Department of Biology, College of Arts and Sciences
- Carl Bassi, Curators’ Distinguished Teaching Professor and Director of Research, College of Optometry
- Brandon Ofem, Associate Professor of Global Leadership and Management, College of Business Administration
- Scott Gericke, Assistant Teaching Professor of Art and Design, College of Arts and Sciences
- Liane Constantine, Executive Director of UMSL Global
- Jessica Long-Pease, Associate Vice Provost of Student Affairs
- Tamara Wilgers, Director of Technology Commercialization and Economic Development
- Deb Godwin, Senior Director of Advancement
- Danielle Faucett, Assistant Registrar
- Harry Harris, Senior Academic Advisor, College of Nursing
- Melissa Daniel, Director of Business Administration
- Sydney Stark, AY22-23 President of the Student Government Association
- Marie Casey, Member of the Chancellor’s Council
I am confident that UMSL will be able to generate a broad, high-quality pool of candidates from a national audience. Shared governance and stakeholder input will be key to this search. We will hold VCAA & Provost forums throughout the fall semester, and I hope that we have a large portion – if not all members – of the UMSL community participate in listening forums and provide feedback throughout the search process.
University of Missouri–St. Louis