History Of the
Sigma Alpha chapter
The Sigma Alpha Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega was
originally installed on April 16, 1967. The ritual ceremony was
performed at the Epsilon Pi Chapter at Southern Illinois University -
Edwardsville. The first president of the chapter was David Zerrer,
who was also president of the student government. The first female
member of the chapter, Elissa Shank, joined in 1976. In 1984 Sigma
Alpha was declared inactive. On April 21, 2002 Sigma Alpha was
rechartered, the ritual was conducted by the Alpha Phi chapter at
Washington University. The president of the chapter upon
rechartering was Christy Tayloe.
History of Alpha Phi
Alpha Phi Omega was founded December 16, 1925 at
Lafayette College in Easton Pennsylvania.
In founding Alpha Phi Omega, Frank Reed Horton had two goals:
1) To Create a "Standard of Manhood" for members that would
withstand the test of time.
2) To Leave Society with more peaceful ways to settle
disputes than war.