What is iMentor?
iMentor is the Division of Student Academic Support Services' mentoring program aimed to assist incoming freshmen and sophomore students in becoming acclimated to our campus and persist by building connection. The program matches mentees with upper class mentors who are leaders in the UMSL community that have a special interest in the academic, personal and professional development of their mentees.
Benefits of the iMentor Program:
- Build leadership skills, problem solving and time management skills
- Gain skills for working with people in one-on-one and group setting
- Flexible schedule
- Assist in community building at UMSL
- Confidentiality skills
- Interact with students from different backgrounds
- Reduced stress and feelings of isolation
- Enhance self-advocacy and interpersonal skills
- Be able to identify UMSL resources, leadership and cultural opportunities
- Be part of a community
- Networking opportunity with fellow UMSL peers
Who are Peer Mentors?
Mentors are students who have completed at least 24 credit hours and have a cumulative GPA of 2.8. Mentors must demonstrate strong communication, and commit to at least one academic school year of participation. Mentors can work up to 7 hours a week and are paid $11.15 an hour. No previous experience is required.
Peer Mentors support and encourage students to reach their best potential through one-on-one peer mentoring, campus involvement, attending iMentor community events and service learning. They function as advocates, friends, and positive role models for the year and provide the student perspective of UMSL.
It can be difficult to reach out to Staff and faculty. Peer mentors also act as a buffer encouraging these connections while being there for the student every step of the way. This is a year long commitment, with mentors meeting mentees regularly throughout the semester and attending community events.
I would like to be a Mentor! How do I Join?
Hiring for 2022-2023 iMentor program has begun and will continue throughout the Summer. Please see On Campus Student Jobs page for full job description and job posting. Students interested in applying to be a mentor should apply following the below guidelines:
- Complete online application at On Campus Jobs Page: https://tinyurl.com/iMentorUMSL
- Forward a copy of your resume to email@example.com
- Have one recommender complete the 2022-2023 iMentor Recommendation Form: https://tinyurl.com/iMentor-Recommendation-Form
We are excited that you have expressed an interest in applying for the iMentor program. Please do not hesitate to contact Natalia Mata, Peer Mentor Coordinator at (314) 516-6834 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions.