Connecting to Library Resources
While On Campus
- Library Research Commons (LRC): The LRC is one of many computing labs available to faculty, staff, students, and other authorized users at both the Thomas Jefferson and Ward E. Barnes Libraries. The LRCs are run by the Information Technology Services department and staffed by student consultants who can orient you about the hardware and software that are available. They can also assist with many software issues. Users must log in using their SSO ID. Other computer labs are also available on campus, check the ITS web page for details and lab hours.
- Wireless: The Thomas Jefferson, St. Louis Mercantile, and Ward E. Barnes Libraries provide wireless internet accessibility. You will need a laptop with a wireless network adapter that supports the 802.11b and/or 802.11g standards. For more information concerning how to use wireless service in the library or on campus, please see the TritonNet networking page. Power plugs are located throughout the library and in the TJ Café.
- Other Campus Computers: Students can access library resources from other campus locations (labs, Millennium Student Center, etc.). Faculty and staff can use library resources from their office and department computers. Check the ITS web page for details and lab hours.
From Off Campus
The Library Catalogs are available to all through the World Wide Web. Only current UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty, and Staff are eligible to access databases and other resources from off-campus. The two means of access are:
- VPN Server: UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty and Staff with broadband internet access (cable or DSL) may use the TritonNet VPN Client to access Library Databases from home. Using a VPN connection requires some additional setup, but once installed the VPN is easy to use and provides a more secure, reliable and complete solution for remote access. Once connected via the VPN Server, your computer will connect to resources as if you are on campus.
To download the software go to: http://www.umsl.edu/technology/networking/TritonVPN/index.html. You will need your Gateway (SSO) ID to download and use the TritonNet AnyConnect VPN Client. To look up your ID go to https://sso.umsl.edu/perl/index.pl.
After you have connected using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client, you may access the Library Catalog and the remote online resources via the UM-St. Louis Libraries' home page by going to: http://www.umsl.edu/library.
- Proxy Server: UM-St. Louis Students, Faculty, and Staff may also remotely access online resources via our Proxy Server. If you try to connect to a database, e-book, or other online resource and you are connecting from off campus (not using the VPN), the proxy server will automatically ask for your SSO ID and password.
However, some resources cannot be accessed via the proxy server. In this case you will need to use the VPN or come to campus.
For information about your SSO ID and password go to https://sso.umsl.edu/perl/index.pl. Connect to the library using: http://www.umsl.edu/library and type in your Gateway ID and password when requested.