Cap and Gown Information
Academic dress is required for all commencement participants.
WHERE & WHEN?
The Grad Fair
Nov. 5 & 6 - 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
University Bookstore, Millennium Student Center
- Purchase your cap and gown.
- Order or purchase announcements, thank you and personal notes.
- Look at class rings.
- Receive information about the UMSL Alumni Association.
Bachelor's - cap, gown, tassel - $38.98 plus tax
Master's - cap, gown, tassel - $38.98 plus tax
Master's - hood only - $24.99 plus tax
Doctorate* - cap, gown, tassel - $33.98 plus tax
Doctorate* - hood - $30 plus tax (optometry only)
Tassel only with custom charm - $8.99 plus tax
*Item(s) for doctorate are rented, not purchased.
Note: YOU MUST REGISTER AT THE BOOKSTORE if you plan to participate in the ceremony - even if you have your own cap and gown (not purchasing through the Bookstore). This is the only way a seat is reserved for you. AND YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE A TASSEL.
A $10 surcharge will be added to caps and gowns purchased AFTER Friday, Nov. 29.
Bring bobby pins to secure cap.
Gowns are to be worn with a collared shirt and tie.
SPECIAL INFORMATION FOR DOCTORAL CANDIDATES
Candidates for the degrees PhD, EdD, DNP and OD will rent, rather than purchase their attire. Measurements will be taken at the Grad Fair in the Bookstore.
Note: Attire not picked up from the Bookstore will be available THE DAY OF COMMENCEMENT in the Faculty Robing Room.
- Undergraduates who have earned Latin Honors (i.e. cum laude) will receive a special tassel from the academic advisor in the robing room.
- Pierre Laclede Honors College graduates will receive special honors cords from the Honors College office.
- Students who belong to academic honor societies recognized by UMSL may wear that organization's honor cords or pins (at the student's expense)
- No other gown adornment is allowed.
- Bookstore 314-516-5763, 314-516-5765, or 314-516-5725.
- Concerning your eligibility to graduate - contact your academic advisor or the Dean's Office.
- General questions. Re-read these instructions.
If you still have a question, call the Office of University Events,