|Decision Support Systems|
Events, Discussions, and
- Immigration to the U.S.
For those of you who were not able to get networking credit by voting, you can attend the Veteran's Day Reception!
The EQ Pitch is on! Thursday, November 15th at 5pm at ABH
And the debate continues ... What do you hear, Yanny or Laurel? Here is more background on the issue.
The Mark Zuckerberg vs. Ted Cruz
Even Imperfect Algorithms Can Improve the Criminal Justice System - The New York Times
More about security
- The Security Mirage
- What is Big Data?; An alternative view
- Edward Snowden Interview
Amazon Scraps Secret AI Recruiting Tool That Showed Bias Against Women
As seen in Reuters, by Jeffrey Dastin, October 9, 2018.
- Amazon has discontinued an artificial intelligence recruiting tool its machine learning specialists developed to automate the
hiring process because they determined it was biased against women. Starting in 2014, a group of Amazon researchers created 500
computer models focused on specific job functions and locations, training each to recognize about 50,000 terms that showed up on
past Amazon job candidates' resumes. However, because most resumes submitted to Amazon had come from men, the models tended to
favor candidates who described themselves using verbs more commonly found on male engineers' resumes, such as "executed" and
"captured." In addition, the program penalized resumes that included the word "women's" and downgraded graduates of two
all-women's colleges. Although Amazon declined to comment on the technology's issues, the company said the tool was “never used by
Amazon recruiters to evaluate candidates.” The Full Article.
- Immigration to the U.S.
- A Comprehensive Guide to the Grammar of Graphics for Effective Visualization of Multi-dimensional Data
- The Art of Effective Visualization of Multi-dimensional Data
- 15 Stunning Data Visualizations (And What you can Learn from Them)
- Graphs by MIT Students Show the Enormously Intrusive Nature of Metadata
- Enron Offers an Unlikely Boost to E-Mail Surveillance
- Universities Rush to Roll out Computer Science Ethics Courses
- What is Data Governance
- Data Governance is the exercise of decision-making and authority for data-related matters
- Data Governance is a system of decision rights and accountabilities for information-related processes, executed according to agreed-upon models which describe who can take what actions with what information, and when, under what circumstances, using what methods.
- Includes organizational bodies, rules (standards, policies, etc.), decision rights, accountabilities and enforcement methods
- What are the Goals and Principles?
- Enable better decision-making
- Reduce operational friction
- Protect the needs of data stakeholders
- Train management and staff to adopt common approaches to data issues
- Build standard, repeatable processes
- Reduce costs and increase effectiveness through coordination of efforts
- Ensure transparency of processes
- Universal Data Governance Principles
- Checks and Balances
- Change Management
- Data Stewards
- Assigning Data Ownership
- Assign Data Ownership (e.g. compliance and access management)
- Who can do what with the data: access only, use only, how much
- Federated Responsibilities
- Governance and Decision Making
- Guidance by Gwen
- The Data Governance Institute
- Governance Cartoons
- Why Do We Need Data Governance?
- Trends in Data Governance
- Dan Gilbert: Why we make bad decisions
- Sheena Iyengar: How to make choosing easier
- Are we in control of our own decisions?
- The Moral Roots of Liberals and Conservatives
- Perception issues: what color is this dress?
- More about it
- Attention to details
Perception issues: what color is this dress?
DSS and Humans: Issues for Decision Making
- Confidence Games: Why People Don’t Trust Machines to Be Right
- Charles Barkley Comments on Role of Advanced Statistics, Analytics in NBA
The Joy of Statistics
- The best stats you've ever seen
- Global population growth, box by box
- How not to be ignorant about the world
Approved paper topics.
- Big Data
- Business Intelligence Use in a particular industry
- Analytics Maturity
- Data Warehousing
- Data Mining
- Data Governance
- Comparison of BI Tools
- Intelligence in BI Tools
- Data Visualization
- Metaphors in BI
- Human-Computer Interaction Systems
- Transnational Application Issues
- Evaluation of BI Tools
Each student must select a topic from the above list and have it approved. Other topics must be approved by speaking to Dr. Sauter.
- Mike Trick's OR Blog
- Punk Rock Operations Research
- Business Intelligence -- Oracle
on Business Intelligence
| UM-St. Louis
Business Page | IS
Home Page | DSS
Home Page |
Page Owner: Professor
© Vicki L. Sauter. All rights reserved.