|Decision Support Systems|
Events, Discussions, and
The DSS song
Data Governance; DMBOK2 Framework
Mr. Boal's presentation.
Tableau has a gallery of visualizations.
Eight (No, Nine!) Problems With Big Data
More on Pandemics
The Sharding Parable
Mr. Boal's presentation from 2013.
New articles on data
- Big Data is Secretly Scoring You
- Data brokers selling lists of rape victims, AIDS patients
- What information is the government buying about you?
- What your zip code reveals about you
- Find out what Big Data knows about you
More about the next project.
- Why Privacy Matters
- The Curse of Big Data
- What is Big Data
- Big data: are we making a big mistake?
Data Warehousing by Paul Boal
The midterm grade distribution.
Some things I found while you were on break that I thought might be interesting to read or hear
- How Effective Is a Number-crunching Approach to Managing People?
- Give me back my privacy
- All the data you can eat
- page 1
- page 2
- page 3
- page 4
- Maximizing Insights from Unstructured Data
- Big Data: The Fourth Data Management Generation
- Is Technology Dehumanizing the Workforce?
Mr. Risany's slides from his presentation.
The project teams for the evening class for the Visualization Assignment
- Group C
- Group D
- Group B
- Group A
- Group F
- Group G
- Group E
- Group B
- Group A
- Group D
- Group C or Group C
10 Ways to Annoy a College Professor
The undergraduate midterm.
New Videos of Interest
- The Secret Life of Big Data
- The Data Brokers: Selling your personal information
- The Moral Roots of Liberals and Conservatives
Where the Analytics Jobs Are
How Savvy Execs Make the Most of Data Analytics
Ms. Meyer's presentation deck
Further analysis: Osama bin Laden
Points of Interest
More: Finding Osama Bin Laden paper and blog explanation
- A -- Abbottabad: location of Osama bin Laden when killed by American troops
- B -- Parachinar: suggested location of Osama bin Laden provided by geographical analysis by Thomas Gillespie (see video)
- C -- Tora Bora: site of last known location of Osama bin Laden
Hasan Elahi: FBI, here I am!
Tell a Story with Data
Gartner's Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence and Analytics Platforms
Google Flu Trends
More on Satisficing
Microsoft's BI Contest
- Getting Started with Power BI for Office 365 Preview
Big Data and Analytics Hub
IBM and analytics: predictive analytics, Crime Analytics, Helping Durham Police, and YouTube commercial
- Dan Ariely asks, Are we in control of our own decisions?
- Why we make bad decisions
- Sheena Iyengar: How to make choosing easier
- Nate Silver confuses cause and effect, ends up defending corruption
- Numbers Don't Lie
A Global Hack: the original announcement, the results, and a solution
Modeling: Jeopardy's Controversial New Champion Is Using Game Theory To Win Big. Read more about it.
Graduate Students: Approved paper topics.
Each student must select a topic from the above list and have it approved. Other topics must be approved asap.
- Big Data
- Business Intelligence Use in a particular industry
- Data Warehousing
- Data Mining
- Comparison of BI Tools
- Intelligence in BI Tools
- Data Visualization
- Metaphors in BI
- Human-Computer Interaction Systems
- Transnational Application Issues
- Evaluation of BI Tools
Data Viz Collaborative, SAIC and Northwestern University, 2013; the Data as Art article
Borrowers Hit Social-Media Hurdles
New Technology Helps Stores Track Your Every Move This Season
Graphs by MIT Students Show the Enormously Intrusive Nature of Metadata
Limits are Set on Phone Data Collection Program
A new way to visualize weather data.
The Joy of Statistics
Big Data: Lessons From Earlier Revolutions
- Mike Trick's OR Blog
- Punk Rock Operations Research
- Business Intelligence -- Oracle
on Business Intelligence
| UM-St. Louis
Business Page | IS
Home Page | DSS
Home Page |
Page Owner: Professor
© Vicki L. Sauter. All rights reserved.