MSW Admissions Information
The application deadline for Spring admission is October 15 of the previous year. The deadline for Fall admission is March 1 of the same year. All application materials, including transcripts and recommendations, must be received in the School of Social Work by that date.
MSW Information Meetings
If you are interested in finding information beyond what is provided here on our webpages, we hold MSW Information meetings a few times a year.
For the next meeting dates, please contact our MSW Coordinator, Devin Dixon: 314.516.7665 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Admissions Requirements
- meet the University of Missouri-St. Louis Graduate School admission requirements;
- hold a bachelor's degree reflecting a sound liberal arts foundation from an accredited college or university;
- have successfully completed a college level course in introductory statistics with a grade of 'C' or better prior to or concurrent with the first semester of the MSW program. The statistics course may be taken at any accredited institution of higher education, online, or at a community college.
- Students with a total undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a 2.75 or better for major field are preferred.
- The GRE is not required.
- International students whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language [TOEFL] examination. For more information contact International Student and Scholar Services.
The MSW Application Process
Please read all of the instructions carefully before you begin.
- Complete the online Graduate School Application form and submit the $50.00 one-time application fee.
- Request official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended be sent to the UMSL Graduate Admissions Office. Transcripts must be received by the applicable deadline. Hand‑carried credentials are not accepted. For more information contact the Graduate School Admissions Office.
- Attach each section of the application packet (i.e. MSW application & resume, essays, acknowledgment forms) in a single email and submit to email@example.com. We prefer electronic submission, however applications will also be accepted by mail or hand delivery to: The School of Social Work, MSW Program, University of Missouri-St. Louis, 469 SSB (Social Sciences & Business) Building, 1 University Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63121-4400. Please note that sending a hardcopy through the U.S. mail may result in a lost or late application.
- Arrange for three (3) Recommendation Forms to be submitted as outlined in the Recommendation Form Instructions. Letters of recommendation accompanying the forms are strongly encouraged. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure these recommendations are received by the School of Social Work prior to the application deadline.
- The School has a small number of assistantships available. If you would like to be considered for one of these positions, you can fill out a Graduate School Assistantship Application and send it to the School of Social Work along with your other application materials.
MSW Application and Supplemental Materials
- MSW Application
- 2 Essays
- 3 MSW Recommendation Forms are to be completed as detailed in the MSW Applicant Recommendation Form Instructions sheet.
- Acknowledgment Forms
- Essential Abilities for Social Workers
- The National Association of Social Workers' Code of Ethics
- Mental Health and Past Criminal Activity Statement
- Graduate School Assistantship Application (optional)
You may be eligible for up to 24 credit hours of Advanced Standing if you have earned an undergraduate degree from an accredited BSW program within the past 5 years, and you have earned at least a “B” in each of the qualifying courses. Click here for the list of courses that qualify for Advanced Standing.
For further information or questions, please contact the MSW Office at 314.516.7665 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.