Skip to main content

International Transfer Credit

Coursework Completed in the US

Undergraduate coursework completed in the United States is transferred to your student record 10-15 business days after an official transcript has been received. Although International Student & Scholar Services processes the applications for all international applicants, undergraduates are encouraged to contact the Office of Transfer Services with questions about US transfer credit. 

International Coursework

Students who have attended a college or university outside of the US may be eligible for undergraduate transfer credit. Follow the steps below in order to have your international coursework reviewed for credit at UMSL.

The transfer credit process can only be initiated for students who have applied to UMSL. Prospective international students should apply here

US citizens or permanent residents with foreign coursework should apply through the Office of Admissions, but have their foreign credentials sent to International Student & Scholar Services.

In addition to official transcripts, official course descriptions are required for this process. Course descriptions are needed for each class under review. In order to be considered official, descriptions must be:

  • Submitted in an official envelope bearing the institution's stamp across the sealed flap


  • Posted on the school’s official website (please email the links to us)

Documents submitted as a part of the transfer credit process become a permanent part of a student's academic file. Original documents cannot be returned.

Once you have submitted your application, official transcripts, and course descriptions, the credit review process can begin. Please note that courses are evaluated by individual faculty members and that the entire process all can take two months or more to complete.

Once you have been admitted, you can meet with an academic advisor to register for classes, even if your transfer credit is still in progress. The advisors will help you select courses while you wait for your transfer credit to be evaluated.

Undergraduate coursework has the potential to transfer to UMSL in one of four ways:

  • Direct Equivalency - The course is equal to one offered here at UMSL.

  • Hours Earned - The class does not have an equivalent course at UMSL, but you will receive an equal number of “elective” hours.

  • Free Elective - The course is considered for admission purposes, but it does not apply to your UMSL degree.

  • Unaccepted Transfer - These courses will not satisfy degree requirements and will not be considered for admission purposes.

If you are dissatisfied with a credit ruling, you may begin an appeals process to contest the decision.

Students are responsible for monitoring the progress of their transfer credit. You may track the progress of your credit using MyView, but you should also run a report on the Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS). The DARS report will show where transfer work has been applied toward your degree requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions