Skip to main content

J-1 Visa Information

The J-1 visa is for non-immigrants to come to the U.S. for teaching, studying, conducting research, consulting, demonstrating special skills or receiving training. After being accepted by the university and receiving an IAP-66 from the sponsor (listed on line 2 of the form), it is possible to apply for a J-1 visa from an American consulate abroad. To be admitted to the U.S., it is necessary to have both the IAP-66 and the J-1 visa stamp. After being admitted to the U.S., the student is eligible to stay in the U.S. for the amount of time listed in box 3 of the IAP-66 plus 30 days to depart.

J-1 visa regulations require students to:

If any of these regulations are not followed and permission for an exception has not been granted, the student will be considered "out of status" and in violation of visa obligations.

There are certain benefits of being "in status": employment, program extension, transfer of program, academic training. None of these are possible while not in status. It is very important to remain in status to avoid difficulties in the future. If a student should get out of status, it is very important to contact the Responsible Officer to remedy the situation as soon as possible.

J-1 visa Link