Skip to main content

Do I need to take the ALEKS assessment if...

I have College Math credits, like AP, IB, or Dual Enrollment credits?

Freshmen: All freshmen should take the ALEKS assessment and can talk to an adviser at New Student Orientation. Transfer credits will still count, but students need to know whether or not they are prepared for their intended math course at UMSL.

The purpose of our placement process is to determine, based on your mathematical background and current mathematical ability, which math courses are appropriate for you.

If you have math transfer credits and the ALEKS assessment places you below the level you need for a particular math course, please discuss this with an adviser at New Student Orientation. Remember, placement is about being successful, not skipping courses. If the ALEKS assessment places you below the level that you desire, it is an indication that you need to review or may possibly need to take a lower level course, in order to be more successful in your UMSL Math course.

Transfers: All students who wish to enroll in a math course at or below the Calculus I level (Math 1100) are encouraged to take the ALEKS assessment, even though they may already have transfer credits for a prerequisite course. The ALEKS assessment will gauge how well you are prepared for your desired course. In particular, if it has been a year or more since you took your math course, you may need to spend time reviewing in the ALEKS Prep and Learning Module in order to be successful in your upcoming course.

I took the AP Calculus test?

Yes. Incoming freshmen must take the ALEKS assessment. AP scores are not available until mid-summer, and decisions about your eligibility for math courses may be needed prior to the receipt of your AP scores.

It is possible that your AP score will allow you to register for a higher level math course, so you should check with an adviser at New Student Orientation.

I took College Algebra, Precalculus, or Calculus in my high school?

A high school course does not count towards college credit unless it was taken as part of a dual credit program through a college or university. Students must take the ALEKS assessment in order to place into the appropriate Math course at UMSL.

If you took a college-level or dual credit course while in high school, you must provide appropriate documentation to the Office of Admissions so that your credits will appear on your UMSL records.

My major requires me to take Statistics, and I already have credit (or exemption) for College Algebra?

No. Statistics courses are not offered by the Math department, and therefore the ALEKS assessment is not required to take these courses. College Algebra credit (or exemption) will be sufficient to take any STAT course that has Math 1030 as a prerequisite.

I just want to repeat my last math course?

Regardless of whether or not you have taken a course before, you must satisfy the prerequisite requirements for the course for the upcoming semester when you plan to enroll. For example, if you did not earn a C- or above in your last math course and want to repeat it, you will need a valid ALEKS score for the upcoming semester. If your original score has expired, you will need to repeat the assessment.

I took an ALEKS assessment through another institution. Can I use this score at UMSL?

No. UMSL does not accept an ALEKS assessment taken elsewhere.


After the ALEKS Assessments



The ALEKS Test


About the ALEKS Assessment


Interpreting Your Results


Math Course Prerequisite Info


The Proctored ALEKS Exam


Students with Transfer/Dual/AP/IB Credit


  About the ALEKS Assessment
  Do I Need to Take the ALEKS Assessment?
  After the ALEKS Assessment