High school is an important time as students begin to think of their future plans and heading to post-secondary education. These crucial years guide students to make the life choices they need to be successful.
Those who have a bachelor’s degree in any area may be eligible to earn Missouri Teacher Certification in secondary education through Teach in 12.
Many of our students have found success in one career, but seek out a new career to make a difference in the lives of others through teaching. No other profession can so fully empower you to directly and immediately impact of our young people and our communities.
Register for an upcoming Information Session.
- A passing score on the designated Missouri Content Examination
- A 2.75 or higher overall GPA
- Approved results of the Family Care Safety Registry
- A clear TB test or chest x-ray, if appropriate
- Students must meet the application deadlines set by the Graduate School
Secondary Education Certification Courses
|TCH ED 5880||Writing in the Content Areas||3|
|TCH ED 5310||Instructional Design||3|
|TCH ED 5000||Experiencing the Classroom||1|
|TCH ED 5311||Foundations of Education||3|
|ED PSY 6030||Instruction, Learning and Assessment||3|
|TCH ED 5312||Teaching Reading in the Content Areas||3|
|ED PSY 6222||Advanced Studies in Child and Adolescent Development||3|
|SEC ED||Curriculum and Methods of Teaching [Subject area]||3|
|SPC ED 6412||Psychology of Exceptional Children||3|
|SEC ED 5989||Practicum I: Site Based Experience||3|
|SEC ED 5990||Practicum II: Site Based Experience||8|
|TCH ED 5001||Advanced Mid-Level Clinical Experience: Diverse Learners||1|
Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments
- One day teaching in a local high school
- 20 clock hours working in a community agency
- 2 site-based practicum courses immersed in a Studio School
- Practicum One: 2 days per week working as a Triton Teacher
- Practicum Two: 4 days per week working as a Triton Teacher
Unique Resources and Innovations
- By taking 4 additional courses students can earn a Master of Education degree
- Launch session to build community, provide early guidance, and share essential information
- Grand Seminars and Collaborative Exchanges throughout the practicum experiences
- Download Secondary Education Infosheet (PDF)
Applicants for any post-baccalaureate certification program must already hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 2.75 cum GPA.
Any teacher candidate aspiring to enter the “Teach in 12” accelerated path must first pass the Missouri Content Assessment appropriate to her or his area of certification.