August 17, 2020 - Start Safe, Stay Safe: Expectations for social distancing and face coverings
Tritons socially distance.
As part of our shared commitment to health and safety, we're asking all Tritons to take personal responsibility for their own health to protect the health of others. Maintaining physical distance between yourself and others is the best tool we have to avoid being exposed to the COVID-19 virus.
While on or off campus, everyone should keep a safe physical distance of at least 6 feet (about two arm lengths) from others.
Learn more by visiting the
Tritons wear face coverings.
Wearing approved face coverings is an additional step to help slow the spread of COVID-19 when combined with everyday preventive actions and social distancing in public settings.
You are required to wear a face covering when entering or occupying a physical building or facility owned, operated or managed by the university. Additionally, face coverings will be required when utilizing campus shuttles and when a minimum physical distance of 6 feet cannot be maintained in any outdoor area of the university – or if otherwise required by public health order.
- When you are alone in a private work space/office or a single-occupancy study room.
- In your private residence including those who live in university-owned or approved residential housing while in their private rooms or apartments. Face coverings are required to be worn in common areas.
- While outdoors and able to maintain 6 feet or more of physical distance from others.
- Children under the age of two.
- Face coverings may be removed when consuming food or beverage while maintaining 6 foot physical distancing.
- Those who require a health or disability-related accommodation or are otherwise unable to place or remove a face covering without assistance.
- Read our complete UMSL Face Covering Policy as well as information on attaining documentation for a health or disability-related accommodation.
While students are expected to supply and maintain their own face coverings, we will give away a number of cloth masks during the first weeks of classes. Additionally, face coverings will be available for sale in the Triton Bookstore and PPE vending machines. All faculty and staff will be provided with a branded cloth face mask and instructors will be provided with a clear face covering to use when leading in-person instruction.