Meet Associate Teaching Professor Diane Beckerle O'Brien
Diane is a full-time lecturer, academic advisor, and licensed clinical social worker in the School of Social Work. She teaches practice courses and field seminars and is the former interim director of the University of Missouri-St. Louis Gerontology Program. Prior to her return to UMSL, Diane was the Director of Applied Learning in the Office of Field Education and Community Partnerships and Co-Coordinator of the Gerontology concentration at the George Warren Brown School of Social Work at Washington University.
In addition to her experience in higher education, Diane served as the Director of the national Alzheimer's Association's Safe Return Program and the Director of Provident Counseling's Employee Assistance Program and Workforce Services. Diane's practice areas include dementia, crisis intervention, brief and solution-focused therapy, long-term care, and supervision.
Interventive Strategies with Individuals, Groups, and Families (2006-present)
Introduction to Interventive Strategies for Social Work Practice (2006)
Integrative Seminar (2005-2007)
MSW, Washington University, (1993)
BA, Rockhurst College, (1987)
Beckerle, D. (October, 2000). After the crisis: Paths to successful coping. George Warren Brown School of
Social Work, Washington University, 75th Anniversary Conference, St. Louis, MO.
Doelling, C., Cazy, R., Williams, C, & O’Brien, D.B. (October 2012). Enhancing Your Professional Presence and
Leadership: Know Yourself and Know Your Field. George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington
University, Fall 2012 Professional Development Series.
Kettler, S. and O’Brien, D.B. (April 2010). Field Education Opportunities. Honoring Kathryn Buder’s Vision:
Listening to the Native Voice. Kathryn M. Buder Center for American Indian Studies, Washington University,
Crown Plaza Hotel.
O’Brien, D.B., Carter, L., Matthieu, M., & Chau, B. (October 2011). Using a Field-Connected, Evidence-Based
Practice Process Assignment and Scoring Rubric. Council on Social Work Education, APM 2011, Atlanta, GA.
O’Brien, D.B., Williams, C., Carter, L., & Matthieu, M. (October 2010). Developing Skills in the Evidence Based
Practice Process. Council on Social Work Education, APM 2010, Portland, OR.
O’Brien, D.B., Birkenmaier, J., Pickard, J. & Rochman, E. (February, 2007). Leadership formation in
gerontological social work field education: A PPP initiative to incorporate leadership formation into the aging focused practicum. Council on Social Work Education Gero-Ed-Forum, Charleston SC.
Williams, C. and O’Brien, D.B. (March, 2010). Changes and Challenges: Field Instruction and the Millennial
Generation. George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University.
See Diane O'Brien'ss CV for a complete list of presentations and interviews.
• University of Missouri - St. Louis, MSW Curriculum Sub-Committee: Areas of Interest (2013-present)
• University of Missouri - St. Louis, MSW Program Admission Committee (2006-2007; 2013-present)
• University of Missouri - St. Louis, Practicum Partnership Program (2005-2007)
• University of Missouri - St. Louis, Field Collaborative (2005-2007)
• University of Missouri - St. Louis & Saint Louis University, Gateway Gerorich Advisory Committee (2002)
• Washington University, Brown School, Curriculum Committee (2007-present)
• Washington University, Brown School, Gerontology Concentration Advisory Committee (1995-present)
• Washington University, Brown School, Expansion Project, Health & Sustainability Committee (2012-present)
• Washington University, Sustainability Action Committee (2011-present)