Courses required for the Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree may not be taken on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis except SOC WK 4800 and SOC WK 4850.
Students entering UMSL as freshmen and as transfer students should indicate a pre-social work major. Students must apply to the program concurrently with SOC WK 3100. Admission to the program is conditional upon the successful completion of all necessary requirements.
Requirements for Admission to the Social Work program:
- Junior standing
- GPA of 2.75 or higher in social work-related areas and an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Submission of:
- Application for admission to the social work program.
- Two letters of reference: one from a college or university professor and one other from a work or volunteer experience supervisor.
- Completion of SOC WK 2000, SOC WK 2001, and SOC WK 2200 or their equivalents or completion of an A.A. in Human Services,
- Completion of PSYCH 1003 and SOC 1010 with a C- or better.
- Attendance at Professional Development Workshop held in the School of Social Work.
Applicants may be asked to meet with the Social Work Admissions Committee.
Hours taken in social work will apply toward the maximum of 50 hours that may be taken in social work courses. The Social Work program may require students to pass a placement test to enroll in the next level course, provided this test or its equivalent is administered to all students seeking to enroll in that course.
Social work majors must have a grade of C- or better and maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or better in all course work specifically required for the major, with satisfactory grades in practicum.
Note: Anthropology, biological sciences, economics, and Spanish courses are strongly recommended by graduate schools of social work.
Non-Missouri Residents: Prospective students are responsible for reviewing the NC-SARA state authorizations page to see if this program is offered in their state throughout their program and to review the licensure or certification requirements for the state in which they reside.