The honorary doctorate degree is the highest form of recognition offered by the University of Missouri to persons of exceptional distinction. To learn more about honorary degrees, please consult Collected Rules and Regulations, Section 220:030 Honorary Degrees.
Each spring, a Campus Faculty Committee appointed by the chancellor reviews honorary doctorate degree nominations and forwards recommendations to the UMSL Faculty Senate for final review before submitting to the chancellor for consideration.
To submit a nomination for an honorary degree, please download the nomination form and provide the supporting materials as instructed. When the packet is complete, return all materials as a single PDF or print packet to Susan Elliott in the Office of External Relations (email@example.com) on or before the 3rd Monday of March for full consideration.
Nomination materials include:
- Download and Complete Nomination Form (If you are unsure of the proposed degree or proposed date of degree conferral, please leave these sections blank.)
- Justification (View Criteria for Selection of Degree Recipients. Maximum 10 additional pages, minus curriculum vitae.)
- Summary about the nominee's more important achievements and/or relevance to the nominating campus.
- Why the particular type of degree is being recommended.
- When the nominee is an academic, confidential statement of support from a faculty member in the relevant discipline.
- Additional supporting documentation (curriculum vitae, reviews or articles of nominee's work, etc.).
For questions, please contact Susan Elliott, Managing Director of External Relations, at (314) 516-4898.
|3rd Monday of March||3rd Monday of April||3rd Monday of September||3rd Friday of October|
|Nominations due to the Office of External Relations||UMSL Campus Faculty Committee submits recommendations to UMSL Faculty Senate||UMSL Faculty Senate submits recommendations to Chancellor||Chancellor submits final recommendations to UM System for consideration|
UM SYSTEM TIMELINE
|3rd Monday of December||3rd Monday of Janunary||3rd Monday of February|
|UM System Honors Committee will forward recommendations to the President||President forwards recommendations to the Board of Curators||With Board approval, President will notify Chancellor and will send formal letter to candidates|