The University of Missouri System’s new approach to performance feedback is grounded in the belief that frequent, honest conversations between managers and employees drive better performance and engagement. Progress check-ins are regular discussions that will happen three times a year to:
- Discuss what is going well and what could be better,
- Check in on progress towards goals,
- Stay aligned on current projects, and
- Agree on next steps
In a performance-oriented culture, employees and managers are held accountable for whether goals and duties are accomplished throughout the year. Once a year, it is useful and valuable to summarize cumulative employee performance with an overall rating.
We will move from a 5-point rating scale to a 3-point rating scale. The rated appraisal will be an overall rating and will not include individual competency scores.
- Needs Development: Does not consistently meet all expectations. Additional direction and support is required/needed.
- Reliably Delivers: Consistently meets expectations. Might exceed some expectations. Requires little to no additional direction to achieve established responsibilities.
- Consistently Exceeds: Consistently exceeds or delivers beyond expectations. Influences others to perform better.
The full process will begin with FY22, utilizing the following schedule:
- August – November
- December – March
- April – July (rated)
- A self-appraisal by the employee
- An appraisal by the employee’s supervisor
- A meeting in which the employee and supervisor discuss the employee’s performance and set performance and development goals for the coming year.
Highlights of the New Process
|Creates a culture of accountability and candor||Clarifies and aligns objectives with university/unit goals|
|Supports a shared responsibility between supervisors and employees||Identifies training and development desires and needs|
|Emphasized informal recognition||Builds upon existing structure (e.g., academic calendar, budget cycle, year-end metrics, numerous direct reports, seasonal work, etc.)|
|Annual score aids in determination of merit||Convenient location of process in myHR|