GWP Summer Institute Leadership in the Teaching of Writing
July 5th - July 29th, 2022 Tuesdays - Fridays DOWNLOAD 2022 FLYER
The institute offers participants a rich opportunity to grow as a writer and as a teacher of writing. We are confident that participation in the institute will become a pivotal experience in one’s professional life. GWP not only encourages teachers to take leadership roles in their own school settings, but once they graduate the Summer Institute as GWP Teacher Consultants, they have opportunities to conduct workshops and school in-service programs sponsored by GWP.
The institute brings together strong teachers (all levels, K-college) who will:
- Write revise, and prepare their own writing for in-house publication.
- Study current theory/research, especially research by teachers of writing.
- Demonstrate their teaching practices.
- Think, talk, read, and write about best practices in the company of peers.
- Apply what they learn to their classroom.
Course expectations; creating a portfolio that includes:
- your own writing, including a reflection on process and progress through the institute
- a writing lesson demo, presented to peers in the institue and reworked based on feedback
- inquiry into writing in your classroom, including: gathering resources, reading, annotating, presenting findings, and planning for implementation
- revision or creation of a unit on writing, based on the inquiry and experiences of the institute
Through the institute, participants will earn six hours of either English or Education graduate credit at the cost of UMSL summer graduate credit rate.
Ready to register for the summer course? Please complete this DATA FORM
Interested in learning more about our program? Join us for a Slice of GWP on January 11, 2022. Enjoy pizza and the company of GWP teacher consultants as you get the opportunity to learn about our program. Contact us for information or to sign up.