Skip to main content

Student Complaint/Grievance Procedures

Student Complaints

It is important to the University of Missouri-St. Louis that students have the best possible experience (s) on campus. If a student encounters a problem/issue or has a concern that has not been resolved through normal campus processes, the student is encouraged to contact the Office of Academic Affairs for assistance in resolving the issue.

The Office of Academic Affairs provides an opportunity for students to express complaints or concerns related to interactions with faculty members, academic departments and/or administrative units on campus. The office works with students and the responding unit to resolve (if applicable) the issue or complaint. Specific complaints and the corresponding complaint/grievance policies/procedures are listed below.

General Policy Regarding Student Complaints
Once a complaint is forwarded to the Office of the Provost, the responsible administrator will send a brief letter (email) acknowledging that the complaint has been received. The academic unit dean or other senior administrator of the academic unit will determine the course (s) of action to address concern/complaint (s). At the conclusion of the investigation, the appropriate unit-level administrator will inform the student of the decision and/or what actions were taken (if applicable).

Grade Appeals
The grade appeal procedure is to allow only the review of capricious grading. It is not intended as a review of the instructor's evaluation of the student's academic performance. Thus, disagreement or dissatisfaction with a faculty member's professional evaluation of coursework is not the basis for a grade appeal. Students must follow the procedures for grade appeals as outlined in the grade appeal policy( If the student is dissatisifed at the conclusion of the departmental's review of the appeal, the student may appeal to the Office of the Provost.

Discrimination Grievance Procedure for Students
"It is the policy of the University of Missouri to provide equal opportunity for all enrolled students and applicants for admission to the University on the basis of merit without discrimination on the basis of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability, or Vietnam era veteran status. Sexual harassment shall be considered discrimination because of sex." Thus, students may file a formal grievance through the Discrimination Grievance Procedures for Students and/or contact the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. For additional information or to begin the process, please contact one of the offices listed below:

Office(s): Student Affairs, Academic Affairs, Office of Diversity/Inclusion
Phone: 314-516-5211; 314-516-5371; 314-516-5695

Sex Discrimination, Harassment and Sexual Misconduct (Employment)
"Sex discrimination is prohibited by University policy and law in educational programs, activities and employment. Title IX applies to all students, employees, volunteers and visitors at the University and prohibits sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, and other forms of sex discrimination as defined in Section 600.020C of the Collected Rules and Regulations."

For questions and/or concerns, please contact:
Office(s): Human Resources
Phone: 314-516-5805 (1-888-GO-2-UMSL)

Harassment, Sexual Misconduct and other Forms of Discrimination Against a Student (Title IX)
"The University will act on any formal or informal complaint or notice of violation of the University’s anti-discrimination policies. The procedures described below apply to all such complaints or notice when the Accused is a student, students or a student organization. Jurisdiction of the University of Missouri generally shall be limited to conduct which occurs on the University of Missouri premises or at University-sponsored or University-supervised functions. However, the University may take appropriate action, including, but not limited to, the imposition of sanctions under Section 200.025 of the Collected Rules and Regulations against students for conduct occurring in other settings, including off-campus, in order to protect the physical safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors or if there are effects of the conduct that interfere with or limit students’ ability to participate in or benefit from the University’s educational programs and activities"

For assistance, please contact one of the offices listed below:
Office(s): HR, Student Affairs, Academic Affairs; Campus Police
Phone: 314-516-5805; 314-516-5211; 314-516-5304; 314-516-5155

Filing a Complaint with the Higher Learning Commission
The University of Missouri-St. Louis is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. Information regarding UMSL's accredidation can be found here Complaints regarding the institution can be made to the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).

Contact information regarding HLC's complaint procedures:
Higher Learning Commission 1-800-621-7440

Filing a Complaint with the State Governing Board/Commission of Higher Education
When a complaint is forwarded to the Office of Academic Affairs, all attempts to resolve the issue both informally and/or through the formal grievance procedures are taken. Notification is sent to the student by the appropriate administrative unit acknowledging that the complaint has been recieved and correspondance obtained during the investigation process is housed in the responding unit. Additionally, copies of complaints forwarded to the Office of the Provost/Office of the Chancellor are kept in Academic Affairs. Institutions of higher education who participate in the federal student aid programs authorized by Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, must have “a process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the institution including enforcing applicable State laws ….” 34 C.F.R.§ 600.9(a)(1). For its part, the institution must “provide students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its State approval or licensing entity and any other relevant State official or agency that would appropriately handle the student’s complaint.” Id. at § 668.43(b)."

Contact information on filing a complaint with MDHE:
Missouri Department of Higher Education
Phone: 573-526-1577

For further assistance, please contact Dr. Tanisha Stevens in the Office of the Provost at or by phone at 314-516-5304 (314-516-5371).