This collection contains documentation from throughout the operational duration of the Katie M. Towing Company
Documentation includes a transcript of the 1879 Recorder of Deeds certification of the formation of corporation, chronological accounts of the careers of Richard M. Johnson, Steamboat Captain, and the Katie M. towboat, copies of government documents related to the Katie M. Towing Company. There are also newspaper articles about the Katie M. Towing Company and about the researcher who compiled these materials.
The Katie M. was built in 1877 in Metropolis, Illinois specifically for the raft-towing trade in Saint Louis, Missouri. In July 1879, John W. Larrimore, Dennis P. Slattery, and John Jackson formed the KATIE M. TOWING COMPANY. In 1886, the vessel license of the Katie M. register her as operating under the Consolidated Coal Company. In February 1888, the Katie M. sunk in the tragic ice floe movement of 1888.
This is collection P-059. This collection is available for on-site use only in the Rare Book and Manuscripts Reading Room. Some of the collection may be photocopied, digitally scanned or photographed, depending on condition. Researchers are advised to call ahead concerning changes in hours due to University intersessions and holidays. The St. Louis Mercantile Library is located on levels one and two of the Thomas Jefferson Library building. More information about conducting research with the archival collections of the Library, including current building hours and reading room policies, can be found on our Research page.
Preferred Citation note: The preferred citation for this collection is "From the collections of the Herman T. Pott National Inland Waterways Library at the University of Missouri - St. Louis.”