Final Dissertation Procedures
Prepare the Correct Formatting
- All Dissertations must have a 1.5 inch margin on the left side ; to accommodate binding of the dissertation.
- All Dissertation title pages must reflect the information and format of the sample page - use TitleCase to assist with correct capitalization
- A dissertation may have a second title page that follows the writing style used or academic unit convention.
- Please carefully review your submission for clarity, spelling and graduate school requirements.
- Documents that adhere to the published Graduate School requirements, process faster through our office.
- DO NOT SUBMIT SIGNATURE PAGES
- In matters of style and documentation, the custom of the discipline shall be followed. The three most commonly used at UMSL are:
- Abstracts are required for all dissertations submitted to the Graduate School.
- The abstract for the IRL@UMSL site must be no longer than 350 words.
Schedule Oral Defense, Announcement & Final Version of Dissertation
- Work with your committee to choose a date that is at least 3 weeks away.
- Schedule a room that is appropriate for the defense.
- Consult the Graduation Deadlines to determine your graduating semester and the timeline for submitting final documents.
The Oral Defense Announcement will be posted on the Graduate School Website. This information is also posted on our social media pages. You and your dissertation chairperson will be notified when it is posted.
The following items are due in the Graduate School 3 weeks before the oral defense:
- A D6 form with all committee and Graduate Program Director signatures
- A D9 form in Microsoft Word format emailed to Graduate School Forms - You must use the format in the D9. [Note: Abstracts must be 350 words or less.]
- A nearly final copy of your dissertation
All three items should be submitted as separate attachments in one email.
- Email or bring a paper copy of the D7 to your oral defense.
- Obtain the decisions and signatures of your committee on the D7
- Submit the D7 to your graduate program director
- The form should be submitted electronically t Graduate School Forms
Complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates
Students earning a Ph.D. are required to complete the web-based survey Survey of Earned Doctorates. When you complete the survey, a copy of your certificate of completion will be sent to the Graduate School by the Survey. Please keep a copy for your records, in case we do not get it.
Students completing a professional doctorate degree [Ed.D. or D.N.P.] should not complete the survey.
Please note that the survey year ends in June. If you are a Summer graduate, August graduates should complete the survey, starting on July 1.
Submit Final Dissertation [Two different submission sites]
Doctoral students must upload their dissertation to 2 different sites. The same version must be uploaded to both sites - please be sure that your dissertation meets the requirements above so that it can be reviewed quickly.
More instructions on submitting the final version of your dissertation below.
After the Graduate School confirms title page and margins, your dissertation will be sent to your dissertation advisor for their approval. After your advisor approves, the dissertation will return to the Graduate School for final approval, after all graduation requirements are met.
Students are responsible for all fees associated with submission and publishing. The University has no restrictions on the options offered by Proquest/UMI.
If you need to delay availability in the UMSL library, please indicate this request within your uploads to IRL@UMSL and ProQuest. The embargos are subject to Graduate School policies. Please contact the Graduate School if your dissertation needs to be withheld from the public for up to 60 months.
Checklist for Final Approval
The Graduate School will give final approval on the D7 when:
- All courses on transcript have letter grades [no DL or IP grades]
- We have proof of completion of the Survey of Earned Doctorates [Ph.D. only]
- We have approved your submission to Proquest/UMI's ETD Administrator
- Advisor approval of final dissertation in IRL@UMSL
- You have a zero balance on your student account. Charges for future coursework do not apply.
The Graduate School will not accept any materials intended for personal copies or gift copies for the committee. Students must order all copies from Proquest/UMI.
Copyrighting is optional. You can register your copyright directly with the U.S. government >or through Proquest/UMI offers to file the registration for you. Request for copyright happens at the time of submission.