The UMSL College of Nursing is committed to admitting a diverse group of students who will become nurse leaders responsive to the specific needs of the communities and populations we serve. We value diversity, intellectual discourse and rigor, caring, professionalism, mutual respect and support, innovation, collaboration, and transparency.
Applicants will be selected using inclusive and balanced admission criteria that measure their potential in nursing practice, education, research, and scholarship. We measure our success by graduates who become lifelong learners and leaders in their communities and in the profession of nursing.
Applicants to the Accelerated BSN nursing clinical program will be holistically reviewed using criteria such as GPA, academic performance in required pre-nursing courses, a personal statement, an essay, extra-curricular activities, honors, award recognitions, leadership roles, and work/volunteer experiences.
Clinical Track Admission Criteria
Clinical track spaces are limited and are awarded to qualified students on a competitive basis. Only students who submit the required clinical application by the appropriate deadline will be considered. Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria in order to be considered for clinical admission. Please note that meeting the following minimum criteria does not guarantee that a student will earn a clinical space in the Accelerated option.
- Admission to the University by completing the UMSL Undergraduate Application
- Submit transcripts from all previous institutions
- An accredited bachelor's or graduate degree recognized by the University of Missouri-St. Louis is required
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (including all transferable courses), regardless of whether or not the applicant holds a baccalaureate degree in another field of study
- Grade of B- or higher within 5 years of clinical enrollment in the following courses: Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology I, Anatomy & Physiology II, Microbiology
- Grade of C- or higher in Statistics and Human Growth and Development courses
- Complete the Accelerated BSN Program Supplemental Application, which will require:
- Personal statement indicating reasons for pursuing a nursing degree (no more than two pages)
- Required essay (directions found in the supplemental application)
- Resume outlining previous education, work/volunteer experience, extra-curricular activities, leadership roles, honors, and awards
- Two recommendation forms:
- Recommenders will need to complete the Recommendation Form and return it to UMSL College of Nursing by emailing it to email@example.com or by mailing it to the address listed on the Recommendation Form (email preferred).
Note: Admission criteria are subject to change.