Cathy Koetting, DNP, APRN, CPNP, PMHS, FNP-C
227 Nursing Administration Building
College of Nursing, South Campus
Dr. Koetting has been a registered nurse (RN) for 28 years and recognized as an advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) for 14 years. Her specialty population is family practice and pediatrics. She is a dually board-certified as a family and pediatric nurse practitioner with an additional certification as a pediatric primary care mental health specialist. Dr. Koetting has taught in academia for the past 17 years in various doctoral, nurse practitioner, and undergraduate programs. She continues to practice part time in family practice seeing patients with serious chronic illness in their homes when they can no longer get to the clinic.
- PhD(c) Duquesne University School of Nursing – scheduled graduation 2021
- DNP, Case Western University School of Nursing – May 2010
- Post Master’s Certificate Family Nurse Practitioner, University of Massachusetts Boston – December 2008
- MSN, University of Missouri–Columbia – May 2006
- BSN, University of Missouri–Columbia – May 2003
- Diploma in Nursing, Missouri Baptist Medical Center School of Nursing – June 1992
- MA Education, Stanford University - June 1982
- BA History, University of California at Berkeley - June 1981
Dr. Koetting's area of research includes forensic nursing, adverse childhood experiences including abuse, family violence, and substance abuse particularly in people with disabilities and effects of these experiences on their health outcomes.
2019 – 2020 Cathy Koetting, PI
Funding: Conrad Hilton Foundation, SBIRT Learning Collaborative Simulation ($5,000)
Title: Teaching advanced nursing students motivational interviewing skills
Project: Use of online interactive simulation as a teaching tool for AMSN students
2015 – 2017 Cathy Koetting, PI
Funding: Conrad Hilton Foundation ($10,000)
Title: Educating undergraduate psychiatric mental health undergraduate students in Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment using an online, interactive simulation.
Project: Data collection using multiple tools to assess confidence in skill set and knowledge level of NIAAA risky drinking levels
*Databased peer reviewed publications
- Drake, S., Koetting, C., Thimsen, K., Downing, N., Porta, C., Hardy, P., Valentine, J.K., Finn, C., & Engretson, J. (2018). Forensic Nursing State of the Science: Research and Practice Opportunities. Journal of Forensic Nursing, 14(1), 3-8*
- Koetting, C. & Freed, P. (2017). Educating psychiatric mental health nursing students in screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment using an online interactive simulation. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 31(3), 241-24.*
- Koetting, C. (2016) Trauma Informed Care: Helping patients with a painful past. Journal of Christian Nursing, 33(4), 206 -213.
- Snell, M., Barron, M. L., & Koetting, C. (2016). Detecting Trichomonas vaginalis in high-risk women: A Tricky Situation. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners,12(4), 271-276.*
- Koetting, C. (2015) Caregiver Fabricated Illness in a Child. Journal of Forensic Nursing,11(2), 114-116.
- Koetting, C., L’Ecuyer, K., & Benz, M. (2015). Nurse practitioner student preceptor orientation via a Wiki. Journal of Nursing Education and Research,5(2), 124 – 130.*
- Bultas, M., & Koetting, C. (2014). Autism Spectrum Disorders in the DSM V. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(2), 142-143.
- Koetting, C., Fitzpatrick, J., Lewin, L., & Kilanowski, J. (2012) Nurse practitioner knowledge of child sexual abuse in children with cognitive disabilities. Journal of Forensic Nursing,8(2), 72 – 80.*
- Koetting, C. (2004) Letter to the Editor. Journal of Pediatric Nursing,19(1), 70. Non-Peer Reviewed Publication
- Alul, H., Barron, M.L., Armbrecht, E., & Koetting, C. (2016). Implementing webinar training to improve appropriate antibiotic prescribing. Contemporary Clinic, August 2016, 36-37.
- Selected Presentations
- Koetting, C. (March, 2019). “Life experiences of parents of young adults with non-verbal, lower-functioning autism spectrum disorder: A mini-study.” Midwest Nursing Research Association Annual Conference, Kansas City, MO. Poster presentation.
- Koetting, C. & Freed, P. (October, 2016) “Educating undergraduate psychiatric mental health nursing students in Screening, Brief Intervention, Referral to Treatment and Motivational Interviewing to improve rates of substance abuse screening and enhance therapeutic communication skills”. American Psychiatric Nurses Association National Conference. Hartford Convention Center, Hartford, CT.
- Koetting, C. & Benz, M. (April, 2014). “Student Nurse Practitioner Preceptor Orientation via a Wiki”. Online Poster Presentation, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties NationalConference. Colorado Convention Center, Denver, CO.
- Koetting, C. (October 2011). Abuse of People with Intellectual and Learning Disabilities: An Introduction for the Forensic Nurse and Law Enforcement Personnel. International Association of Forensic Nurses International Conference on Forensic Science and Practice. Montreal Hyatt, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Koetting, C. (October, 2010). “Nurse Practitioner Knowledge of Sexual Abuse in Children with Cognitive Disabilities”. Poster presentation at the International Association of Forensic Nurses International Conference on Forensic Science and Practice. Onmi William Penn
Other Scholarly Activities
Honors and Awards
- Finalist Educator Category – St. Louis Magazine Nursing Excellence Awards April 2018
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners
- Missouri Association of Nurses
- International Association of Forensic Nurses
- Academy of Forensic Nursing