End-of-Year Career Fair
Tuesday, April 27, 2021 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. | Career Fair Plus App
A one-time special event for students and recent graduates from all four University of Missouri campuses. Discuss internship and job opportunities and connect and network with employers!
- Download the Career Fair Plus app on your mobile device to create your profile.
- Upload your resume and review fair information through any mobile device or computer.
- Attend a Prep Session on Wednesday, April 14, 2021 at 4 p.m. or 6 p.m.
- Take advantage of daily live chat sessions with Career Services, available on our website from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Click on the “Contact Us” icon.
VIRTUAL CAREER FAIR INFORMATION
Virtual career fairs are online events allowing employers and students to meet in virtual environments such as through video chat rooms or voice calls. UMSL Career Services will be working with Career Fair Plus to host our upcoming virtual career fair to create an intuitive, user-friendly experience for students and employers. Access Career Fair Plus via the web and download the Career Fair Plus app in preparation for the virtual fair and check out this video demo to see how it works!
- Visit https://app.careerfairplus.com/umsl_mo. Locate the fair you are attending (University of Missouri System Hiring Fair)
- You may browse the employers attending the virtual fair without creating a Career Fair Plus account. When you're ready to start scheduling appointments, you will need to create an account and build your profile.
- Build a complete profile including your resume and other relevant information. This is the profile employers will see when you make appointments to meet them on the day of the fair, so you want to make a good impression!
- Here's a quick video walk-through of the process!
Career Fair Plus offers two ways for you to interact with recruiters on the day of the fair: 1-on-1 Meetings and Group Meetings. This table explains the differences between the two:
Marked with this icon in Career Fair Plus
Marked with this icon in Career Fair Plus
No specific time slot to choose
Must choose a desired time slot
Can join the meeting at point within the meeting times
Must join at your designated time
Possibility of other candidates being in the meeting or speaking with multiple recruiters
You will be the only candidate during the meeting
Schedule advance appointments to talk with employers virtually on the day of the fair.
- Select the employer you would like to meet with and then click 'Virtual Appointments' to see available schedules.
- Select the schedule that you are interested in; employers may have multiple recruiter schedules
- Select a time that works for you, and hit 'YES' to book the appointment
If you are not signed in, you will be prompted to sign in. If you have not yet created an account, you must do so at this stage in order to schedule appointments. Watch this video to see how.
IMPORTANT: Appointments are first-come, first-serve, so if there is an employer you want to meet with, BOOK EARLY!! Don't wait to book a time slot! Some employers may be able to accept same-day appointments on the day of the fair, but schedules often fill up quickly.
The system will not allow you to double-book yourself or book back-to-back meetings. This is so that you have a buffer window in case one of your meetings overruns.
Even if you’ve already booked appointments, do the following the day before the fair:
- Log on to your account via the web portal or the Career Fair Plus app
- Make sure you can access your virtual appointment schedule
- Check the interaction type listed under the schedule for each of your appointments. Click through to the schedule, and check under the employer name.
For Schedules using Video Meeting Rooms
IMPORTANT: If the interaction type says Video Meeting, the appointment will take place in Career Fair Plus integrated video meeting room. In this case, please click Join Meeting from one of your scheduled appointments and test that your video and microphone are working. You may need to grant/request permissions if it is the first time you are using the platform. If you have any technical questions, please contact Career Fairs Plus directly at email@example.com
For Schedules without Video Meeting Rooms
Check the interaction type, so you know what to expect on the day of the fair, whether it's a phone call, or a platform outside of the Career Fair Plus App (Zoom, Skype, etc.). If there are additional instructions provided on the schedule for candidates, these might give further details about how you can expect the recruiter to contact you.
NOTE: You will receive an email the day before the fair with reminders about your upcoming appointments. This email will also contain links to the video meeting rooms for your appointments.
On the day of the fair, follow these three simple steps:
- Sign in to your account via the web portal or app
- Access your virtual appointment schedule and meet with employers
- Use the app to help you track your appointments and make notes
Here is a video walk-through of a virtual fair using Career Fair Plus’ video meeting rooms.
If you have any technical questions, please contact Career Fair Plus directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Career Fair Prep
Career Fair Success
Career Fair Plus Training and Materials
For additional Career Fair Plus training materials and videos, please use this link.
Once you are familiar with the virtual fair technology, another important way to prepare for a virtual fair is researching the employers attending the fair. The Career Fair Plus App contains a link to the employer website. Your research should help you ask engaging questions when meeting with employers during the fair. View a video detailing how to best research employers.
In determining companies of interest, be open-minded. Do not solely concentrate on “big names” or large organizations. There are often great opportunities with companies with which you are not familiar. Explore every possible avenue.
A resume that is polished along with your conversation with the employer is pivotal to virtual career fair success. Career Services can assist you in creating a well-written, error-free resume. Avoid waiting until the last minute to polish your resume. To schedule appointments to meet with recruiters on the day of the fair (which is recommended), you will need to submit a copy of your resume.
The good news is that for a virtual fair, you can keep a copy of your resume readily available for you to reference as you are interacting with employers. You may jot down notes as well.
Look the Part
Dress in professional business attire, at least from the waist up. Even with a virtual fair, you want to present a polished appearance. Just make sure not to stand up if you choose to wear a “Zoom mullet,” aka business clothes on top, pajama pants on the bottom.
Nonverbal communication is also important. Consider your “on-camera” body language and eye contact. To prepare, watch a video on virtual networking.
Meeting Employers at a Virtual Career Fair
After selecting employers to contact at the career fair, prepare an elevator pitch summarizing your professional background, skills, and interests. This will create a smooth start to your conversation. Watch a video on how to create an elevator pitch.
Select a distraction free environment with strong internet/cell service for your time at the fair. This may help prevent technology glitches that could interrupt your employer meetings.
The time you have with a recruiter will be brief. In closing your conversation, be sure to learn the next step and inquire how to follow up. You can use this information to follow up with a short thank you letter or email thanking the employer for the introduction to their organization and to initiate contact with another representative if applicable.
Do not be surprised if the employer asks you to go online to complete an application and/or submit a resume. Due to employment laws and/or the sheer volume of resumes employers receive, applying online is quite common. For some employers, every candidate— even an internal one--must apply online.