What is the internship program about?
During the cohort, each winning startup participating in the accelerator will be provided one paid intern who will work ~20 hours/week during the two-month accelerator to substantively augment and advance the exciting work being done. In turn, these students will be paid $3,000 each to learn by doing, as they develop a variety of skills and witness first-hand the inner workings of a startup.
In early February, there will be a virtual Shark Tank-type event in which ~12 finalist intern candidates will go before a small panel of judges to demonstrate their suitability for the program. During this event, each winning founder pitches their business, each winning intern shares their experiences, and we provide additional opportunities for founders and interns to get to know one another. Afterward, both founders and interns will rank their preferences, and we will match up founders and interns accordingly.
Who is eligible to participate in the internship program?
All UMSL students are eligible. The most competitive applicants will be able to demonstrate:
- Interest in entrepreneurship,
- Strong communication and writing skills,
- High energy and positivity,
- Commitment to self-starting, and
- Openness to learning and trying.
What is the timeline for the internship application and program?
- January 11, 2021: Applications open.
- January 24, 2021: Applications close.
- February 2, 2021: Shark Tank-type intern-founder matching event.
- February 5, 2021: Winning interns notified.
- February 9, 2021: Internship begins.
- April 6, 2021: Internship ends.
How can I apply for the internship program?
You may apply for the internship program by filling out the application form found by clicking on the following button:
Please note that the application requires a nontrivial amount of effort, so we encourage you to get started sooner rather than later on your application if you intend to apply. In any case, thank you for your interest in the UMSL Accelerate Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Accelerator Internship Program!