This collection was donated in May 2002. Sonya McDonald processed the Earl Rhine Papers and used the collection and the Thomas A. Dooley Papers to design and create a web exhibit on Dooley and Rhine's medical service to the people in Muong Sing, Laos from 1958-1960. The web exhibit includes biographical sketches of Dooley, Rhine, and others involved in the medical work, the daily work of providing medical care, and what Dooley and Rhine did before and after their time in Laos.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
This collection is a compilation of material gathered by Sonya McDonald during her research and creation of a web exhibit, Medicine in the Jungle: Dr. Thomas Dooley and Earl Rhine in Laos, using the Earl Rhine Papers and the Thomas A. Dooley Papers. Information in the collection ranges from 1959 to 2002.
The collection includes correspondence between McDonald, Earl Rhine, Ngoan Hoang, and Dwight Davis, and McDonald's attempts to correspond with Teresa Gallagher and Father Maynard Kegler. It also contains articles McDonald gathered on Dr. Dooley during her research for the exhibit. Also in the collection is a script for the web exhibit with filenames for the correspondence used, an outline of the web exhibit sections, and copies of the letters from the Earl Rhine Papers, the Thomas A Dooley Papers, and letters donated by Ngoan Hoang. These copies are arranged according to the outline of the web exhibit and have their scanned filename and collection number, box number, and file number in pencil on them. There is also a list of the filenames of the letters and photographs from the Rhine and Dooley Collections that were scanned.
Ngoan Van Hoang donated letters he received from Earl Rhine, Teresa Gallagher, Dr. Tom Dooley, and Ralph Edwards from "This is Your Life," and newsletters from the Thomas A. Dooley Foundation and the Tom Dooley League. These are also part of the collection.
McDonald also conducted oral history interviews with Earl Rhine and Ngoan Van Hoang. These are recorded on CD and are in the collection with the list of questions for the interviews. There is also a CD of the web exhibit in the collection.
Earl Rhine donated two Chinese plaques. Dwight Davis donated one Chinese plaque. The Chinese plaques were given to Rhine and Davis in appreciation for their work in Laos. They have an orange background and black Chinese characters in black frames. They are numbered on the back. Translation: 1. good doctor and good people;
2. DOCTOR, compliments Dooley for using medical skill to help people and world;
3. compliments Washington (possibly George) for helping country and people. Number 1 and 3 are from Rhine, and they measure 14x48 inches each. Number 2 is from Davis, and it measures 27x48 inches.
See the web exhibit http://www.umsl.edu/~whmc/exhibits
MEDICINE IN THE JUNGLE: DR. THOMAS DOOLEY AND EARL RHINE IN LAOS
This collection is related to the Earl Rhine Papers. See collection #627
RHINE, EARL (1932- ) PAPERS, 1958-2002
It is also related to the Thomas A. Dooley Papers. See collection #464
DOOLEY, THOMAS A. (1927-1961) PAPERS, 1932-1988
WHMC became the official repository of the late Dr. Tom Dooley's Papers in 1980.
1. Correspondence to and from Sonya McDonald with Earl Rhine, Ngoan Hoang, Dwight Davis, Teresa Gallagher, and Father Maynard Kegler, 2001-2002.
2. Articles on Dr. Tom Dooley and the Tom Dooley Foundation, n.d., 1969, 1975, 1989.
3. Web exhibit script materials, first section 2001-2002.
4. Web exhibit script materials, second section, 2001-2002.
5. Web exhibit script materials, third section, 2001-2002.
6. Correspondence to Ngoan Van Hoang from Earl Rhine, Teresa Gallagher, Dr. Tom Dooley, and Ralph Edwards from "This is Your Life," nd., 1959-1968.
7. Newsletters of the Thomas A. Dooley Foundation, New York City Chapter, and the Tom Dooley League, 1965-1966.
8. CD copy of web exhibit, 2002.
CD copy of oral history interview by telephone with Earl Rhine by Sonya McDonald, December 11, 2001.
CD copy of oral history interview by telephone with Ngoan Van Hoang by Sonya McDonald, January 15, 2002.
3 Chinese plaques of appreciation given to Earl Rhine and Dwight, 1960.
Davis, Dwight, f. 1, 3-5, Oversize
Dooley, Dr. Thomas, f. 1-8
Dooley, Thomas A., Foundation, f. 2-5, 7
Dooley, Tom, League, f. 7
Edwards, Ralph, f. 6
Gallagher, Teresa, f. 1, 3-7
Give Joy to My Youth, A Memoir of Dr. Tom Dooley, f. 7
Hoang, Ngoan Van, f. 1, 3-6, 8
Ngoan, Van Hoang, f. 1, 3-6, 8
Rhine, Earl, f. 1, 3-6, 8, Oversize
Thomas A. Dooley Foundation, f. 2-5, 7
Tom Dooley League, f. 7
STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF MISSOURI RESEARCH CENTER-ST. LOUIS
222 THOMAS JEFFERSON LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS
8001 NATURAL BRIDGE ROAD
ST. LOUIS, MO 63121