For a list of the images in this collection click here and go to the WHMC photograph database
The Frank Eschen Collection was donated by his son Tom Eschen on November 18, 1993. Processing was completed by Zelli Fischetti in July 1996
Frank Eschen was born John Francis Eschen in Hannibal, Missouri in July 1909. He graduated from highschool in Clayton, Missouri and then from the University of Missouri at Columbia with a degree in journalism in 1932. While in college Eschen had worked for a radio station in Columbia (KFRU). After graduation he came to St. Louis and went to work for WIL radio. He then went to KSD radio where he was to spend the rest of his career. During WWII Eschen served with a public relations unit in the army. He served at Scott Air Base in Illinois. In 1946 Eshcen accompanied Bishop Glennon to Rome for his installation as Cardinal. While in Europe he also covered the Nuremberg trials and the untimely death of Glennon. Eschen was one of the pioneers of television in St. Louis when KSD-TV was started in 1947. He broadcast news, sports and special events during his career. Eschen died March 25, 1960.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The collection contains as correspondence, scripts newsclippings, and photographs regarding the radio and television career of Frank Eschen. It also contains a copy of Tom Eschen's (son) dissertation on the history of television in St. Louis and an oral interview with Tom regarding his father.
SERIES 1: Papers. This series contains all the material in the collection except the photographs.
SERIES 2: Photographs. 222 photographs of Frank Eschen, his associates and people he interviewed. The photographs are entered into the WHMC photo database.
SERIES 3: Oral history interview with Tom Eschen about Frank Eschen.
1. Highschool material, 1927
2. Playbills for productions in which Frank Eschen acted, 1931-1933
3. KWK radio magazine, 1941
4. Military service material, 1942-1946
5. Material from trip with Cardinal Glennon, 1946
6. Newspaper and magazine articles about Frank Eschen, 1946-1986
7. Radio and television scripts and memos, 1946-1956
8. Municipal Opera reviews, 1947-1948
9. Presidential inauguration, 1949
10. Correspondence, 1950-1960
11. Radio Correspondents Association annual dinner in honor of the President, program, 1950
12. Newspaper and magazine articles, 1950-1993
13. TWA certificate, 1951
14. Speeches, nd
15. Program schedules and proposal for program, nd
16. Sympathy correspondence, 1960
17. The Freeze and Beyond: The History of St. Louis Television, A Survey, 1947-1960, dissertation by Tom Eschen, 1983
18. Drawing of Frank Eschen by Daniel Fitzpatrick, nd
19. Photographs, 570.1-570.37
20. Photographs, 570.38-570.63
21. Photographs, 570.64-570.84
22. Photographs, 570.85-570.111
23. Photographs, 570.112-570.136
24. Photographs, 570.137-570.167
25. Photographs, 570.168-570.193
26. Photographs, 570.194-570.220
27. Oral history interview with Tom Eschen.
Fitzpatrick, Daniel, f. 18
Glennon, Cardinal John J. f. 5
Goering, Hermann, f. 5
KWK Radio, f. 3
Municipal Opera, f. 8, 10
Nuremberg trials, f.5
Ritter, Archbishop Joseph E. f. 5
STRONG>STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF MISSOURI RESEARCH CENTER-ST. LOUIS
222 THOMAS JEFFERSON LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS
8001 NATURAL BRIDGE ROAD
ST. LOUIS, MO 63121