Correspondence, clippings, press releases, and newspaper articles.
See also See Also collection sl 731 Sayad, Elizabeth Gentry
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Elizabeth Gentry Sayad Papers consist mostly of newspaper clippings and correspondence. The dates range from 1952 to 1980. The topics are quite diversified. Two folders consist of articles by or about Mrs. Sayad or her family. Other topics include A Fair to Remember, Christ Church Cathedral, the Mayor's Task Force on the Humanities and the Arts, the Mississippi River Festival and Tricentennial, the New Music Circle, the Opera Theater, The Prince and the Pauper, and the Repertory Theater.
Mrs. Sayad and her husband Homer are also very active in issues concerning Iran and Persia. They were in contact with the Iranian Ambassador and some correspondence with him can be found in the general correspondence file. A program for the Second Annual Persian Persepolis Party can be found in this collection.
The information contained in this collection is broad and somewhat sketchy. The information on the Mayor's Task Force on the Humanities and the Arts is fairly complete. Most of the information on the other topics included consists of publicity material used in various magazines and newspapers. Because of this, much of the information in this collection concerns Mrs. Sayad's life in the public eye. Very little of this collection concerns Mrs. Sayad's private pursuits.
The Sayad Addenda is an extension of many of the topics already covered in the original Sayad papers. The papers also include a small amount of information concerning the Alliance Francaise, the Mississippi River Boat Race, and the reenactment of the Battle of Okeechobee in Florida. Once again, the information is very incomplete.
Series 1, Activities/The Arts: This series includes Mrs. Sayad's work with the New Music Circle, the Repertory Theater, the Opera Theater, and the Children's Theater Productions. It also includes her work with the Mayor's Task Force on the Humanities and the Arts.
Series 2, Correspondence: This series includes correspondence concerning recitals, correspondence with her parents, and general correspondence.
Series 3, Other Activities: This series includes Mrs. Sayad's work in television and her participation in the planning of the Persian Persepolis Party.
Series 4, Publications and News Releases: This series consists of articles written both by and about Mrs. Sayad and her family.
Series 5, Tapes: This series consists of a reel to reel tape used in a radio program entitled "Colonel Gentry's Volunteers."
Series 6, Photographs: The only photograph in this series is a photograph of Mrs. Sayad and Suzanne Goell at a recital they gave.
Series 7, Sayad Addenda: This series contains more information on Katherine Dunham, the New Music Circle, and the Repertory Theater. New material included concerns the Alliance Francaise, Ginger Rogers, the Second Annual River Boat Race, and the reenactment of the Battle of Okeechobee in Florida.
Series 1: Community Activities/The Arts
1. A Fair to Remember, 1979, Correspondence and Press Releases
2. Christ Church Cathedral, 1980
3. Mayor's Task Force on the Humanities and the Arts, 1977-1979
4. Mississippi River Festival, 1971-1973
5. Mississippi River Tricentennial, 1973
6. New Music Circle, Correspondence, 1964-1966
7. New Music Circle, Publications, 1963-1972
8. Opera Theater, 1965-1979
9. The Prince and the Pauper, Correspondence, 1980
10. The Prince and the Pauper, Press Releases, 1980
11. Repertory Theater, Correspondence, 1958-9, 1971-2, 1977, 1981
Series 2: Correspondence
12. General Correspondence, 1952-64, 1972-79
13. Correspondence Concerning Recitals, 1953-1965
14. Correspondence with Parents, 1953
Series 3: Other Activities
15. Katherine Dunham
16. Elizabeth Gentry Sayad's Work in Television
17. Persian Persepolis Party Program, 1971
Series 4: Publications and News Releases
18. Articles written by Elizabeth G. Sayad, 1957-1980
19. Articles written about Elizabeth G. Sayad, 1952-1980
20. Missouri Historical Society Bulletin, July 1980
Series 5: Tapes
21. "Colonel Gentry's Volunteers," 1940s
Series 6: Photographs
22. Elizabeth Gentry Sayad and Suzanne Goell
Series 7: Sayad Addenda
23. Alliance Francaise, 1989
24. Katherine Dunham, 1984-1988
25. New Music Circle, 1984
26. Repertory Theater, 1986
27. Ginger Rogers, 1986
28. Second Annual Mississippi River Boat Race, 1988
29. Reenactment of the Battle of Okeechobee in Florida, 1987
A Fair To Remember, f. 1
Alliance Francaise, f. 23
Christ Church Cathedral, f. 2
"Colonel Gentry's Volunteers, " f. 21
Correspondence, f. 12-14
De Havilland, Olivia, f. 23
Dunham, Katherine, f. 15, 24
Florida, f. 29
Goell, Suzanne (photograph), f. 22
Mayor's Task Force on the Humanities and the Arts, f. 3
Mississippi River Boat Race, f. 28
Mississippi River Festival, f. 4
Mississippi River Tricentennial, f. 5
Missouri Historical Society Bulletin, f. 20
New Music Circle, f. 6-7, 25
Okeechobee, Florida, f. 29
Opera Theater, f. 8
Persian Persepolis Party Program, f. 17
Reenactment of the Battle of Okeechobee, f. 29
Repertory Theater, f. 11, 26
Rogers, Ginger, f. 27
Sayad,. Elizabeth Gentry (photograph), f. 22
Television, f. 16
The Prince and the Pauper, f. 9-10
STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF MISSOURI RESEARCH CENTER-ST. LOUIS
222 THOMAS JEFFERSON LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS
8001 NATURAL BRIDGE ROAD
ST. LOUIS, MO 63121