Bob Broeg donated his personal papers to the Western Historical Manuscripts Collection at the University of Missouri-St. Louis on October 31, 1989, and an addenda on September 17, 1990. (See also collection # 493).
Bob Broeg grew up in south St. Louis. He attended Mount Pleasant grade school and Cleveland High School, and was a 1941 graduate of the University of Missouri-Columbia School of Journalism. During World War II he served in the Marines. His first wife, Dorothy Carr Broeg, died in 1975. In 1977 he remarried, to Lynette Anton Berg.
Broeg joined the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on July 14, 1945, and began covering baseball in 1946. He did this for 13 years, becoming well-known to local sports fans for the convoluted style of his articles and columns. He also covered University of Missouri football extensively.
Broeg became the Post's sports editor in 1958, succeeding his boyhood idol, J. Roy Stockton. In 1985 he retired as sports editor and became a contributing sports editor, a position he still holds.
In 1971 the UMC School of Journalism made Bob the first sportswriter to receive its prestigious gold medal for journalistic achievement. In 1985 he was inducted into the writers' wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N. Y.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
The Broeg Addenda contains manuscripts of two books, Don't Bring THAT Up! (Skeletons in the Sports Closet, coauthored with Bob Burrill (1946), and Bob Broeg's Redbirds (1981); a play script called The Babe and Mrs. Custer (1987); and two oral-history interviews conducted by UM-St. Louis professor Scott McKelvie on August 23 and September 13, 1990. All materials, including the tapes, are arranged chronologically.
1. Don't Bring THAT Up! (1946)--publisher's proof
2. Don't Bring THAT Up! (1946)--title page, copyright page, table of contents, typescript of chaps. 2-4 (chap. 1 missing as of January 13, 1994)
3. Don't Bring THAT Up! (1946)--typescript of chaps. 5-8
4. Don't Bring THAT Up! (1946)--typescript of chaps. 9-13
5. Don't Bring THAT Up! (1946)--typescript of chaps. 14-17
BOX 2 6. Bob Broeg's Redbirds (1981)--uncorrected proof with pictures positioned
7. Bob Broeg's Redbirds (1981)--typescripts of table of contents, intros by J. Buck/S. Musial, chaps. 1-6
8. Bob Broeg's Redbirds (1981)--typescripts of chaps. 7-18, alternate version of chap. 18, back-cover text
9. The Babe and Mrs. Custer (1987)--play script, Act I, scenes 1-10
10. The Babe and Mrs. Custer (1987)--play script, Act II, scenes 1-3
11. Recorded interviews with UMSL professor Scott McKelvie: 2 tapes: August 23, 1990; September 13, 1990
Baseball, f. 1-11
Broeg, R., f. 1-11
Burrill, R., f. 1-5
Ruth, Babe, f. 9-10
St. Louis Cardinals, f. 1-8, 11
St. Louis Post-Dispatch, f. 11
STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF MISSOURI RESEARCH CENTER-ST. LOUIS
222, THOMAS JEFFERSON LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS
ONE UNIVERSITY BOULEVARD
ST. LOUIS, MO 63121