St. Louis German bakers sent delegates to the first national meeting of bakers in Pittsburgh in February 1886 and received a charter as No. 15. The local supported the eight hour day movement and helped organized the Central Trades and Labor Union. Rivalry with the English-speaking local was resolved in 1906 when both were united as Local No. 4. Includes 30th anniversary souvenir program (1916), silver jubilee edition of The Bakers' Journal (1911), and photograph of bakers @1911.
STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF MISSOURI RESEARCH CENTER-ST. LOUIS
222 THOMAS JEFFERSON LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS
8001 NATURAL BRIDGE ROAD
ST. LOUIS, MO 63121