This collection is stored off site. Please allow 3-5 business days for retrieval.
Marvin Kabakoff donated the records of the Mid-Continent Life Services Corporation (MLSC) on June 9, 1980, with a contract stipulation that all names be sanitized from the collection.- MLSC was a community services organization for gays in St. Louis from 1975 to its dissolution in 1978. The group provided a community center, office space, a monthly newsletter, referrals to health facilities and to other gay groups, and a telephone hotline for the gay cormunity in metropolitan St. Louis. It also provided a speakers bureau, life enrichment classes, and TV and radio interviews to help the public understand and accept gays. It was also a founding member of the Missouri Gay Caucus, an annual state-wide convention of gays.
The Mid-Continent Life Services Corporation records document the founding and development of the group, its incorporation, application and approval of IRS tax exemption status, corporate organization and by-laws, correspondence, surveys, publications, and mailings from 1975 to 1978. Included with the collection is the log of MLSC's telephone hotline, including the time, nature and types of referrals for calls received from October, 1975, to October, 1978. Mailings and publications from other local, state and national groups, from 1975-1978, are contained in the records. The collection is divided into five series: Organizational Papers, Correspondence and Publications; Telephone Hotline Papers; Hotline Phone Log; Other Groups;and Newsletters.
SERIES 1 - ORGANIZATIONAL PAPERS, CORRESPONDENCE AND PUBLICATIONS
These records include incorporation certificate, IRS tax exemption files, board of directors meeting minutes, membership meeting minutes, general correspondence, procedure directives, general directory, speakers bureau confirmations, donation acknowledge-ments, and publications.
SERIES 2 - TELEPHONE HOTLINE PAPERS
The Telephone Hotline Papers include the Metropolitan Association of Service Hotlines meeting minutes, the Hotline Board of Advisors meeting minutes, Hotline Forwarding Manual, and Hotline Training Manual.
SERIES 3 - HOTLINE PHONE LOG
The Hotline Phone Log includes a listing of all calls received, the nature and time of each call and the solution or referral offered by the hotline staff worker.
SERIES 4 - OTHER GROUPS
The Other Groups material includes mailings and publications of other local, state and national gay groups in contact with MLSC.
SERIES 5 - NEWSLETTERS
The Newsletters include issues of the MLSC Newsletter, "Prime Time," and "Gay St. Louis."
BOX 1 (127011)
1. Certificate of Incorporation and IRS Tax Exemption Papers, 1976-1978.
2. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Lawsuit, 1976.
3. General Directory, n.d.
4. Corporate By-Laws, 1976.
5. Directives of Procedures, 1976.
6. Board of Directors' Nominating Committee Candidate files, 1976-1977
7. Board of Directors Minutes, Agendas, Waivers, and Resignation Notices, 1976.
8. Board of Directors, Minutes, Agendas, Waivers, and Resignation Notices, 1977.
9. Board of Directors, Minutes, Agendas, Waivers, and Resignation Notices, 1978.
10. Membership Meetings, 1975-1978.
11. General Correspondence, 1976-1979.
12. Mailings, 1976-1978.
13. Speakers Bureau Confirmations, 1976-1978.
14. Donation Acknowledgments, 1977.
15. Publications, 1975-1978.
16. Opinionnaire, n.d.
17. Survey, 1975.
18. Former Members Survey, n.d.
19. Metropolitan Association of Service Hotlines, Minutes, 1976-1977.
20. Hotline Board of Advisors, Agendas, Minutes, and Memoranda, 1978.
21. Hotline Forwarding Manual, n.d.
22. Hotline Training Manual, n.d.
23. Hotline Phone Log, October, 1975.
24. Hotline Phone Log, November, 1975.
25. Hotline Phone Log, December, 1975.
26. Hotline Phone Log, January, 1976.
27. Hotline Phone Log, February, 1976.
28. Hotline Phone Log, March, 1976.
29. Hotline Phone Log, April, 1976.
30. Hotline Phone Log, May, 1976.
31. Hotline Phone Log, June, 1976.
32. Hotline Phone Log, July, 1976.
33. Hotline Phone Log, August, 1976.
BOX 2 (127012)
34. Hotline Phone Log, September, 1976.
35. Hotline Phone Log, October, 1976.
36. Hotline Phone Log, November, 1976.
37. Hotline Phone Log, December, 1976.
38. Hotline Phone Log, January, 1977.
39. Hotline Phone Log, February, 1977.
40. Hotline Phone Log, March, 1977.
41. Hotline Phone Log, April, 1977.
42. Hotline Phone Log, May, 1977.
43. Hotline Phone Log, October, 1977.
44. Hotline Phone Log, November, 1977.
45. Hotline Phone Log, December, 1977.
46. Hotline Phone Log, January, 1978.
47. Hotline Phone Log, February, 1978.
48. Hotline Phone Log, March, 1978.
49. Hotline Phone Log, April, 1978.
50. Hotline Phone Log, May, 1978.
51. Hotline Phone Log, June, 1978.
52. Hotline Phone Log, July, 1978.
53. Hotline Phone Log, August, 1978.
54. Hotline Phone Log, September, 1978.
55. Athena, Blue Max, Caucus of Gay Counselors, Christopher Street Association, 1975-1978.
56. Dignity, 1977.
57. Florida Citrus Commission, Florida Gay Liberation News, 1977.
58. Fox Valley Gay Association, Gateway Motorcycle Club, Gay Activists Alliance - New York, 1976.
59. Gay Academic Union, Gay and Lesbian Pride and Planning Committee, Gay Community Center of Colorado, Gay Community Center of San Francisco, 1977-1981, Gay Academic Union-St. Louis, 1981
60. Gay Community Services - Kansas City, Missouri; Gay Comunity Services - Minneapolis; Gay Illini; Gay Jews, 1975-1977.
61. Gays On The Hill, Gay People's Alliance-Washington University, Gay Rights National Lobby, Illinois Gay Task Force, 1976-1978.
62. Integrity, 1977-1978.
63. Joint Committee for Gay Rights, Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, 1976-1977.
64. Lutherans Concerned, Midwest Gay Rights Financial Committee, 1975-1977.
65. Missouri Gay Caucus, 1977.
66. National Gay Task Force, 1975-1978.
67. National Gay Student Center, Nine Seven Six, Ohio Gay Rights Coalition, Parents and Friends of Gays, 1977.
68. One of Chicago; Pride Community Center - Joplin, Missouri; St. Louis Gay Coalition; St. Louis Task Force for Human Rights; United Church of Christ - Gay Caucus, 1976-1977.
69. Prime Time, vI n1 October, 1975
70. Prime Time, vII n1 January, 1976
71. Prime Time, vII n2and 3, Feb. and March, 1976
72. Prime Time, vII n4 and 5, April and May, 1976
73. Prime Time, vII n6 and 8, June and August, 1976
BOX 3 (127013)
74. Prime Time, vII n10, October,1976
75. Prime Time, vII n11, November, 1976
76. Prime Time, vII n12, December, 1976
77. Prime Time, vIII n1 and 2, Jan. and Feb., 1977
78. Prime Time, vIII n5 and 7, June and July, 1977
79. Prime Time, vIII n9, September, 1977
80. Gay St. Louis, vIII n10, November, 1977, V4, N1, May-June, 1978
81. Gaylife, n2-4, Dec, 1978, Feb., 1979, March, 1979
82. Gay People's Alliance Newsletter, June, July and Oct., 1975
STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF MISSOURI RESEARCH CENTER-ST. LOUIS
222 THOMAS JEFFERSON LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS
ONE UNIVERSITY BOULEVARD
ST. LOUIS, MO 63121