"Since the automobile has become such a powerful source toward decentralization throughout the country, we feel that the beginning of Vandervoort's suburban store, as part of our modernization and expansion program, is a particularly appropriate feature of our centennial year, which begins a new century for us."
Frank M. Mayfield, president of Scruggs Vandervoort Barney, Inc.
The first suburban branch of Scruggs Vandervoort Barney was located at Hanley Road and Forsyth Boulevard in Clayton. The store celebrated its grand opening on September 21, 1951. The employees, 300 at peak season, were hired from the surrounding area in order to support the surrounding suburban community. The building cost the company $1.5 million to build. The plan for the new store stated that there would be a free parking area for customers at the south end of the building. Also planned was a restaurant, Forsyth Corner, on the upper mezzanine. Scruggs advertised the new store as offering "every convenience" in order to draw consumers to the suburban branch. By the end of the 1950s, the suburban branch had drawn sales away from the downtown store resulting in losses that eventually lead to the closing of the downtown and Clayton branches in 1967.
|Visit Stix, Baer & Fuller and the opening of their Clayton store.|