"No image of Meachum's church exists. This image is from the 1875 Compton and Dry bird's eye map of St. Louis. We know the general location of the church from the 1852 City Directory
Construction Date: 1842 Architect:
FIRST AFRICAN BAPTIST CHURCH
Founded in 1825 by John Berry Meachum,
the First African Baptist Church was the first Protestant congregation among African
Americans in St. Louis. All subsequent African-American Baptist congregations
in St. Louis were an outgrowth of this church. The congregation's first permanent
house of worship was built in 1827 at the intersection of Third and Almond Street.
In 1842, a new brick church was constructed one block further west, between Fourth
and Fifth Streets. In addition to providing services for religious worship, the
church operated a secret school for
African-American children. Upon the death of John
Berry Meachum in 1854, Emmanuel Cartwright became the church's second pastor.