About The Department
About Our Students
Phi Alpha Theta
History Department Learning Objectives
2+3 Dual Program
Information on History Masters Programs
Museum Studies Program
Graduate Forms & Instructions
Local Historical Agencies
Alumni and Friends
Giving to the Department
Alumni Information Update
1. Factual Content Knowledge
Majors will acquire an intellectual framework for understanding the world’s civilizations and peoples, and their political, economic, social, and cultural histories.
2. Chronological Understanding
Majors will gain an appreciation for processes of change across varied aspects of the human experience.
3. Ability to Communicate as a Historian
All majors will demonstrate the ability to communicate in clear, well organized, and grammatical prose.
4. Ability to Locate Appropriate Primary and Secondary Sources
Majors will demonstrate the ability to locate published and unpublished information sources in both electronic and traditional formats to research a topic exhaustively
5. Ability to Formulate Historical Research Questions
Majors will demonstrate the ability to craft questions that will serve as the basis for viable research projects.
6. Ability to Evaluate and Use Primary Source Evidence in Historical Research
Majors will demonstrate the ability to identify perspective in primary sources and utilize primary source evidence in the construction of interpretive arguments.
7. Ability to Identify Historical Arguments and Situate Historical Arguments Within the Historiographical Literature
Majors will demonstrate the ability to comprehend and identify perspective in secondary sources and master the secondary literature in areas of independent research.
8. Ability to Produce Historical Interpretations
Students must be able to conceive, explicitly state, and persuasively argue a defensible thesis statement in all research papers.
9. Ability to Follow Professional Citation Protocols
Majors will demonstrate the ability to properly cite primary and secondary source in Chicago style and construct Chicago style bibliographies in all research papers.