Social Work-Based Services
Address: 144 Millennium Student Center
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Work-Based Services, a program of Student Affairs, extends support for students beyond the campus by providing a variety of services that connects them with the resources they may need. This new program reinforces the core mission of UMSL Student Affairs by acknowledging the diverse and unique needs of UMSL students.
The focus of social work-based services is to provide support that strengthens and empowers students to manage and balance the many elements of their lives while they pursue their academic goals.
To address students' needs, a number of services are available and can be tailored to each student's situation. Confidentiality is maintained for all services provided within legal and ethical guidelines.
Services are grouped into five major areas of support:
- Resource Referral
- Students are provided assistance with identifying, locating and accessing community resources.
- Students will be informed of special services or events on campus that will support their personal success.
- Crisis Assistance
- Students unable to secure their basic needs are provided help to stabilize their current situation. This includes assistance securing resources to combat homelessness, utility shut-off, domestic violence or other hardships.
- Public Assistance
- Students are provided information and guidelines on public assistance programs available. This includes helping students apply for public assistance programs such as Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, Food Stamps, Medicaid, housing and childcare.
- Students will be provided with help in planning their education within the parameters of public assistance or social services being received.
- Students are provided with information, resources and guidance on decision making in high-risk behavior areas such as drug and alcohol use, tobacco use, safe dating and other relevant issues.