Scholarships and Assistantship
Advising and Courses
BHWET HRSA Grant
MSW Field Practicum Overview
Leadership & Social Change
MSW Student Orientation
Current MSW Student Information
Tips for Success
In the Spotlight
See Us In Action
Faculty and Staff
Diane Beckerle O'Brien
Lois Pierce (Director)
Student Social Work Association
Master of Social Work Admissions Information
The application deadline is March 1st for all students (full or part‑time) seeking admission for the Fall 2016 semester. The application deadline for the Spring 2016 semester is October 15th. All application materials, including transcripts and recommendations, must be received in the School of Social Work by the appropriate deadline.
- Applicants must meet the University of Missouri-St. Louis Graduate School admission requirements.
- Applicants must also hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. The undergraduate education must reflect a sound liberal arts foundation, including courses such as humanities, social and behavioral sciences, physical sciences, human biology, research methods or statistics as is typical in majors such as business, communications, psychology, and criminal justice. In addition, an applicant is to have successfully completed a college level course in introductory statistics with a grade of 'C' or better prior to or concurrent with the first semester of the MSW program.
- Students with a total undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a 2.75 or better for major field are preferred. See the FAQ section for more information.
The GRE is not required.
International students whose native language is not English must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language [TOEFL] examination and score 550 or above. For more information contact International Student and Scholar Services.
The MSW Application Process - please read all of the instructions carefully before you begin.
The first step is to complete the online Graduate School Application form and submit the $50.00 one-time application fee. Once your application has been processed the Graduate School will send a confirmation email that includes your student ID number.
Request that official Transcripts from all colleges/universities attended be sent to the UMSL Graduate Admissions Office. Transcripts must be received by the applicable deadline. Hand‑carried credentials are not accepted. For more information contact the Graduate School Admissions Office.
All of the MSW Application materials are Acrobat pdf fill forms that can be completed from your desktop and submitted electronically. We will accept an electronic (typed in) signature for all documents. TechNote - forms will arrive blank if completed/submitted using a mobile device and/or Preview (MAC); forms are not compatible with EchoSign. We prefer that each section of the application packet (i.e. application & resume, essays, acknowledgment forms) be attached and submitted in a single email to email@example.com. We prefer electronic submission, however applications will also be accepted by mail or hand delivery to: The School of Social Work, MSW Program, University of Missouri-St. Louis, 121 Bellerive Hall, 1 University Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63121-4400. Please note that sending a hardcopy through the U.S. mail may result in a lost or late application.
Information on securing and submitting recommendation forms is listed towards the bottom of the page.
Complete the MSW Application and Supplemental Materials:
- Essential Abilities for Social Workers
- The National Association of Social Workers' Code of Ethics
- Mental Health and Past Criminal Activity Statement
Three MSW Recommendation Forms are to be completed and submitted as detailed in the MSW Applicant Recommendation Form Instructions sheet. Letters of recommendation accompanying the forms are strongly recommended. Note: It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the completed recommendation forms and letters are received prior to the application deadline.
Thank you for your interest in the MSW Program. For further information or questions, please contact Cindy Gemignani at 314.516.7665 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.