Mission and Vision
Double major, Minor, Liberal studies
ΦΣΤ Honor Society
Benefits of the MA
Co-op with SLU
3 Year Course Plan
2015 Gateway Graduate Conference
2010 Five-Year Review
To earn an M.A. in Philosophy, students must complete at least 30 hours (10 courses) of graduate-level coursework and write a thesis for an additional 3 credit hours. Two-thirds (24 credit hours) of the degree program, including the thesis, must be completed in residence at UMSL.
Entering students must demonstrate a competence in logic, either by having passed the relevant course prior to admission or by taking PHIL 5561: Graduate Formal Logic here at UMSL.
Students should, if at all possible, take the graduate Proseminar during the first Fall semester in which they are in residence. In addition, the courses taken are subject to two distribution requirements:
1. At least half the courses must be at the 5000 level.
2. At least two courses (6 credit hours) must be from each of the following four areas:
- Epistemology/Metaphysics/Philosophy of Mind/Philosophy of Language
- History of Philosophy
- Logic/Philosophy of Science/Philosophy of Cognitive Science
- Value Theory (ethics, aesthetics, social and political philosophy, philosophy of law)