Benefits | Payback | Tools | SHRM
Human resource issues impact every company in some way. That's why it's important to understand the fundamental issues surrounding HR today.
SHRM, the leading global HR professional organization, has developed the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course which provides an introductory overview of the human resource function. Whether you are new to HR or if HR is one of many roles you fulfill at your company, this program, offered in partnership with SHRM and the University of Missouri—St. Louis, covers the key HR topics you need to know.
Build a Solid Foundation in HR Management Skills
By covering a breadth of practical HR topics, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management provides the knowledge to perform daily tasks. Through this course you will also:
- Review key pieces of federal legislation on sexual harassment, age discrimination and the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Gain insights into employee recruitment and selection while avoiding legal pitfalls.
- Enhance your skills related to total compensation systems, pay increases and incentives, and employee benefits.
- Increase your knowledge of employee orientation, onboarding, professional development, and training.
SHRM understands the demands of the HR professional. That’s why the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course balances printed materials, online learning, and live instructor support to meet your learning needs and schedule.
Why Take the SHRM Essentials of HR Management Course?
- Company/tuition reimbursement
- Structured dates, times and assignments to keep you on track
- Convenient schedule -- two-day workshops, evening or weekend programs
- Cost-effective HR training
- Real-world case studies to apply learning
- Networking opportunities
- Instruction from an HR expert
- Time-efficient and comprehensive: One training program covers vital HR topics in less than 20 training hours.
- Focused learning and professional development: Condensed format and online study tools help you stay on track.
- Peer and Instructor Interaction: Network and gain real-world insights into HR while learning the content.
- Cost-effective: Includes all you need to learn the basics of HR in one training source, with corporate discounts for group training.
Benefits for Employees
Through the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course, participants can:
Benefits for Companies
- Attain knowledge and practical HR skills to effectively approach challenging HR issues.
- Gain expertise in areas of HR management that are broader than the normal scope of your job.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest laws and regulations.
- Increase your on-the-job confidence.
- Utilize the course materials as one comprehensive source of HR information.
- Earn up to 1.5 CEUs or 15 PHR/SPHR recertification hours and a certificate upon completion.
The SHRM Essentials of HR Management course can help companies increase HR knowledge that is critical to overall business success. This program:
Who Should Attend?
- Reduces company's risk of potential high-cost litigation.
- Promotes a consistent understanding of the HR function to non-HR management.
- Offers professional development for divisional or departmental supervisors to ensure HR compliance.
- Develops a common dictionary of HR terms for the entire organization.
- Enhances the importance of the HR function within your company.
Designed as a thorough introduction to HR basics, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course provides a solid foundation in human resource management that improves HR job performance across multiple job titles and functions.
- New and junior HR practitioners who need to increase their knowledge base.
- Small business owners or office managers who perform the HR function for their company.
- Business managers who want to learn basic HR best practices to avoid costly litigation.
- New or experienced managers interested in learning more about employee management skills.
- Representatives selling or supporting HR systems and services.
- International HR personnel wishing to increase their knowledge of U.S. HR practices.
- Job seekers who are investigating HR as a new career option or want to have HR as a skill for future positions.
Small Investment in Quality Training...Big Payback
Backed by SHRM’s track record of providing quality HR training, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course covers the topics you need to meet key HR challenges that are relevant to you and your company. In less than 20 hours of training time, you can cover the issues you need to reduce potentially costly lawsuits.
Developed by leading HR experts, HR practitioners, and legal counsel, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management course covers introductory HR topics in a condensed, easy-to-understand format. The straightforward format ensures that HR concepts can be mastered and applied to real-life situations.
You’ll benefit from the shared experiences of your instructor and peers, while learning techniques for handling HR challenges through interactive case studies designed to make you feel comfortable dealing with HR issues. In addition, you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement from our institution and have the opportunity to earn up to 1.5 continuing education units (CEUs) or 15 PHR/SPHR/GPHR recertification hours upon completion.
Content and Materials
Newly updated with the latest HR developments, the SHRM Essentials of HR Management program combines print materials with online study tools to provide a blended learning experience.
Each SHRM Essentials of HR Management course participant will receive two printed books. The Participant’s Reference Book includes the printed content of the course. It addresses six key human resource management practices, compiled into one comprehensive course book for easy reference.
- Human Resource Management - Gain a clear understanding of the HR function.
- Employment Law - Enhance your ability to apply key HR legislation.
- Recruitment and Selection - Develop important skills for selecting employees.
- Compensation and Benefits - Learn the key elements of a total compensation system.
- Employee Development - Obtain an understanding of orientation, development, and training.
- Performance Management - Discover the purpose and process for performance evaluation.
The Participant’s Activities Book contains copies of the instructor slides with room for notes and application activities.
Web-based Study Tools and Resources
The Web-based tools are designed to support the print materials, provide added opportunities to review and master HR concepts, and gain confidence. The tools are available to all SHRM Essentials of HR Management program participants.
Online Study Tools
- Pre-test to gauge current knowledge.
- Module-specific test for each module to check mastery of key information.
- Post-test to assess learning gain.
- Reports that measure progress.
- Certificate of Achievement awarded to those who pass the post-test with a score of 80% or higher.
Apply HR Concepts
- Menu to guide you through the program.
- Glossary of key terms.
- Resource Center that includes additional resources and reference material.
- Threaded case study featuring real-life scenarios to apply concepts learned throughout the course.
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. Representing more than 250,000 members in over 140 countries, the Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession. Founded in 1948, SHRM has more than 575 affiliated chapters within the United States and subsidiary offices in Chin and India. Visit shrm.org.