Welcome to the Foreign Language Connection at the University of Missouri-St. Louis!
The Foreign Language Connection promotes the importance of world languages and language learning to our economy, education, and social welfare at the state and local levels.
The goal of the Foreign Language Connection is to extend foreign language capabilities to individuals, schools, and businesses through language classes, translation and interpretation services, and language workshops for foreign language teachers.Among these pages, you will find a variety of classes and services that are delivered on the campus of UMSL and at sites throughout the St. Louis area. Many of these classes can be tailored to your specific needs and delivered to your site at a time convenient to you. If you would like to find out more about scheduling a class or customized language training at your site, please call me at (314) 516-5911 for details.
Our staff, instructors, translators, and interpreters are dedicated to providing quality education and training and exceptional customer service. Let us show you how easy it can be to meet your foreign language needs.
Deborah Baldini, PhD
College of Arts & Sciences/Continuing Education
Language Courses (Courses Being Offered Now)
All of the courses offered through the Foreign Language Connection include opportunities to practice conversational skills in practical contexts, as well as covering essential vocabulary and cultural issues to consider. Most of the courses are taught by native speakers.The Foreign Language Connection offers two levels of basic conversational courses:
- Level I is for people with little or no experience with the language.
- Level II requires some knowledge of the language.
See below for a listing of the courses we offer throughout the year. Go to the online Catalog for current course offerings, complete descriptions, dates, times, fees and registration options.
Participants in our intermediate conversational courses are not required to have taken the basic courses but must have a limited knowledge of the language.
The Foreign Language Connection's courses for professionals focus on real-world situations, essential vocabulary, and important cultural issues, and provide opportunities for participants to practice conversational skills.
- Introduction to Arabic Language – Conversation and Script (taught online via SKYPE)
- Bosnian Language and Culture
- Basic Conversational Bosnian I
- Mandarin Chinese for Travelers
- Basic Conversational French I
- Basic Conversational Greek I
- Basic Conversational Italian I
- Basic Conversational Italian II
- Intermediate Conversational Italian I
- Basic Conversational Spanish I
- Basic Conversational Spanish II
- Intermediate Conversational Spanish I
- Intermediate Conversational Spanish II
- Basic Spanish for Business
- Spanish for the Classroom Teacher
- Spanish for First Responders
- Basic Spanish for Health-Care Professionals I
- Basic Spanish for Health-Care Professionals II
- Spanish for Law Enforcement Personnel
- Basic Spanish for Social Service Professionals I
- Intermediate Spanish for Social Service Professionals
The Foreign Language Connection offers Contract & Customized Training, Document Translation Services and Interpretation Services.
Document Translation Services
The Foreign Language Connection provides high-quality translation of your written documents including business letters, electronic presentations, birth certificates, educational transcripts, legal forms, and other written materials.
We offer a large pool of community and professional translators, including those who possess advanced degrees and expertise in highly specialized fields such as business, computer science, social work, dentistry, law, literature, and health care. We know how important accurate written communication is and, in order to achieve the highest standards of accuracy, we utilize a two-step translation process. Your document will be translated by a native speaker and will be edited by an independent reviewer before you receive the final version.
Our fees will depend on the type of document, its length, and the degree of technical expertise involved.
For additional information or an estimate of fees, please contact Deborah Baldini at (314) 516-5911. General office hours are 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
The Foreign Language Connection offers high-quality interpreting services in a variety of languages using community and certified translators.
Interpreters provide live oral translation between individuals who do not speak a common language. Interpreters are proficient in the two languages they are translating.
Fees will vary. For an estimate of fees or to request interpretation services, please contact Deborah Baldini at (314) 516-5911. General office hours are 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Contract & Customized Training
Any of the open-enrollment classes we offer can be delivered to your site by contract. In addition, the Foreign Language Connection can assist you with your customized foreign language training needs. We can arrange to meet with you to conduct a linguistic needs assessment and will develop foreign language training specifically designed to address your needs.
For more information about contract and customized training, please contact Deborah Baldini at (314) 516-5911. General office hours are 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Deborah Baldini, Associate Dean, College of Arts & Sciences, Continuing Education, University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Tony DiTucci, Kirkwood High School
- Beth Eckelkamp, UMSL
- David Fritz, Francis Howell School District
- Donna Gamache, Director of Communications, The Lawrence Group
- Robert Headrick, Rockwood School District
- Beth Landers, UMSL
- Jill Quinlan, Nerinx Hall High School
- Kimberley Sallee, UMSL
- Sandra Trapani, University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Nancy Urnes, Parkway School District
- Matt Wohlstadter, President, Store Supply Warehouse
- Harold Zinn, Vice President, Corporate Communications, Missouri Enterprise