About | Classes
The tremendous growth of the Internet has created an explosion of Web pages - both business and personal. With the race to take advantage of the limitless possibilities of the Web, there is an increased demand for professionals skilled in designing, developing, and maintaining Web pages. This certificate program will provide you with the tools you need to create attractive and effective Web sites.You'll learn to:
- Create consistent page designs throughout your site using a Web design program's style sheets and templates.
- Use your knowledge of HTML and CSS code to quickly tweak your page design, even if you're using a GUI program to create your site.
- Optimize images so that they load quickly on your Web pages.
- Create the effects that draw your users back to your site, such as animations, video, rollover buttons, and navigation menu bars.
You should be proficient with the Windows or Macintosh operating system and be able to move, change, cut/paste, resize, and manage multiple windows. You are required to complete any prerequisites listed for certificate classes. These classes will not count toward the required 42 hours.
Certificate Class Requirements
A minimum of 42 hours is required – 12 hours from HTML, 12 hours from Web Page Design, 6 hours from Web Graphics and Animation, and 12 additional hours chosen from the class list.
Complete the application form and return it with your $25 nonrefundable fee. All classes must be completed through the UMSL Computer Education & Training Center within two years of submitting the application. (Note: Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis; submitting the application and paying the fee doesn’t guarantee a seat in any class.)
If you have completed one or more of these classes through the Computer Education & Training Center in the 24 months prior to completing your application, they may be applied to this certificate. You can list these classes on your application form. Granting approval for these classes depends on verification of satisfactory completion of each class. Note: A class can be applied to only one specialized certificate. Students do not have to be enrolled in the Certificate program to take these classes.
Note: Students also receive CEUs for successful completion of each class. Students completing the Web Page Design Chancellor's Certificate receive at least 4.2 CEUs.The hours completed in these classes will also be applied toward the 96-hour Chancellor's Certificate on the Computer.
(minimum 12 hours required)
- Introduction to HTML
- Intermediate Applications of HTML
- Advanced Applications of HTML
- Introduction to Cascading Style Sheets
- Intermediate Applications of Cascading Style Sheets
Web Page Design
(minimum 12 hours required)
- Introduction to Web Page Design Using Expression Web
- Intermediate Applications of Expression Web
- Introduction to Web Page Design Using Dreamweaver
- Intermediate Applications of Dreamweaver
- Advanced Applications of Dreamweaver
- Accelerated Topics in Dreamweaver: Publishing a Web Site (3 hours)
Web Graphics & Animation
(minimum 6 hours required)
- Introduction to Flash
- Intermediate Applications of Flash
- Advanced Applications of Flash
- Advanced Topics in Flash: Animation
- Advanced Topics in Flash: Video
- Introduction to Fireworks
- Intermediate Applications of Fireworks
- Advanced Topics in Photoshop: Web Graphics
(minimum 12 hours required.)
Complete 12 additional hours from the classes listed within this certificate.For specific course schedules, please visit the CETC Catalog. For more information, visit our Web site at http://www.cetc.umsl.edu.