About | Classes
With the growth in Web site development and implementation, there is a need for individuals who can design and produce Web applications that add interactivity with scripts and databases.
In this certificate program, you’ll learn to:
- Design, install, and maintain Web-based applications.
- Construct dynamic Web pages.
- Develop applications that interact with server-based components such as business objects.
- Maintain databases, including writing to a database, and updating and deleting records.
You should be proficient with HTML, specifically tables and forms. If you do not have these skills, you should take Intermediate and Advanced Applications of HTML.
Certificate Class Requirements
You can earn this certificate in one of these two ways:
- Complete a minimum of 48 hours in the classes specified below—12 hours from SQL, 24 hours from Server-Side Technologies, and 12 hours from Electives.
- Complete the Chancellor’s Certificate in Web Page Design and then take an additional 42 hours in the classes specified below—12 hours from SQL, 24 hours from Server-Side Technologies, and 6 hours from Electives.
Complete the application form and return it with your $25 nonrefundable fee. All classes must be completed through the UMSL Computer Education & Training Center within two years of submitting the application. (Note: Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis; submitting the application and paying the fee doesn’t guarantee a seat in any class.)
To earn this certificate, you must complete the application form. As described above, you can earn this certificate in one of two ways: (1) earn the Web Page Design Certificate and then complete a minimum of 42 additional hours from the classes specified here, or (2) complete a minimum of 48 hours from the classes specified here. If you have successfully completed some of these certificate classes through the UMSL Computer Education & Training Center in the 24 months prior to completing your application, they may be applied to this certificate. You can list these classes on your application form. Granting approval for these classes depends on verification of satisfactory completion of each class. Previously taken classes can be applied to only one specialized certificate.
Note: A class can be applied to only one specialized certificate.
Note: Students do not have to be enrolled in the Certificate program to take these classes.
Note: Students also receive CEUs for successful completion of each class. Students completing the Web Programming and Databases Chancellor's Certificate receive at least 4.2 CEUs. The hours completed in these classes will also be applied toward the 96-hour Chancellor's Certificate on the Computer. Other certificates are also available.
SQL(minimum 12 hours required)
- Introduction to SQL or Fundamentals of SQL Using Oracle: Level 1
- Intermediate Applications of SQL or Fundamentals of SQL Using Oracle: Level 2
- Advanced Applications of SQL or Fundamentals of SQL Using Oracle: Level 3
- SQL Programming: Level 1 (12 hours)
- SQL Programming: Level 2 (12 hours)
- Oracle Programming Using PL/SQL: Level 1 (12 hours)
- Oracle Programming Using PL/SQL: Level 2 (12 hours)
Server-Side Technologies(minimum 24 hours required)
- Introduction to ColdFusion
- Intermediate Applications of ColdFusion
- Introduction to ASP .NET Using VB .NET
- Intermediate Applications of ASP .NET Using VB .NET
- Advanced Applications of ASP .NET Using VB .NET
- Introduction to PHP
- Intermediate Applications of PHP
- Intermediate Applications of Perl
- Introduction to JavaServer Pages (JSP) (12 hours)
Electives(minimum 6 hours with the Web Page Design Certificate or 12 hours without)
- Introduction to XML
- Intermediate Applications of XML
- Special Topics in XML: Introduction to XSL
- Introduction to AJAX (12 hours)
- Advanced Topics in Dreamweaver: Dynamic Database Connections