About | Classes
This certificate program provides you with the tools you need to create digital graphics for use in print, on the Web, in presentations, and for multimedia.
- Create, acquire, and modify digital graphics.
- Retouch, enhance, and manipulate digital photographs.
- Choose the appropriate file format based on the intended use of the image.
- Optimize graphics for use on the Web.
- Create simple animations, buttons, and rollovers.
This certificate is for the traditional designer who is going digital, as well as those with experience working in a digital environment, including graphic designers, illustrators, desktop publishers, Web designers, and photographers.
You will benefit by:
- Developing a strong foundation in software essential for today’s graphics professional.
- Expanding your current knowledge of digital graphics and experimenting with new tools and techniques.
- Understanding the differences among the various graphic file formats and their intended uses.
You should be proficient with the Windows or Macintosh operating system.
Certificate Class Requirements
You can earn this certificate in one of these two ways:
- Complete the Chancellor’s Certificate in Electronic Art and Publishing, and then complete a minimum of 30 hours in the Web Graphics & Animation category.
- Complete a minimum of 48 hours in the classes specified – 12 hours from Art & Graphics, 12 hours from Image Editing, 18 hours from Web Graphics & Animation, and 6 additional hours from any of the classes listed.
Complete the application form and return it with your $25 nonrefundable fee. All classes must be completed through the UMSL Computer Education & Training Center within two years of submitting the application. (Note: Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis; submitting the application and paying the fee doesn’t guarantee a seat in any class.)
To earn this certificate, you must complete the application form. As described above, you can earn this certificate in one of two ways: (1) earn the Electronic Art and Publishing Certificate and then complete a minimum of 30 hours in the Web Graphics & Animation category, or (2) complete a minimum of 48 hours from the classes specified above. If you have successfully completed some of these certificate classes through the UMSL Computer Education & Training Center in the 24 months prior to completing your application, they may be applied to this certificate. You can list these classes on your application form. Granting approval for these classes depends on verification of satisfactory completion of each class.
Note: No classes may be waived for this certificate. A class can be applied to only one specialized certificate.
Note: You also receive CEUs for successful completion of each class. Students completing the Digital Graphics Chancellor's Certificate receive at least 3.0 CEUs. The hours completed in these classes will also be applied toward the 96-hour Chancellor's Certificate on the Computer. Other certificates are also available.
Art & Graphics
(12 hours required)
- Introduction to Computer Graphics Using Illustrator
- Intermediate Applications of Illustrator
- Advanced Applications of Illustrator
Image Editing(12 hours required)
- Introduction to Image Editing Using Photoshop
- Intermediate Applications of Photoshop
- Advanced Applications of Photoshop
- Advanced Topics in Photoshop: Special Effects
Web Graphics(18 hours required)
- Introduction to Flash
- Intermediate Applications of Flash
- Advanced Applications of Flash
- Advanced Topics in Flash: Animation
- Introduction to Flash ActionScript
- Intermediate Applications of Flash ActionScript
- Introduction to Fireworks
- Intermediate Applications of Fireworks
- Advanced Topics in Photoshop: Web Graphics
Electives(minimum 6 hours required.)
- Introduction to Digital Cameras (3 hours)
- Introduction to Photoshop Elements (3 hours)
- Intermediate Applications of Photoshop Elements (3 hours)