- When: February 27, 2015 | 8:00-4:00 PM
- Where: Renaissance Airport Hotel
The College of Nursing at the University of Missouri–St. Louis is proud to present the 8th Annual African-American Nursing History Conference on February 27, 2015, from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. This year‘s conference theme is "Leading the Charge for Making Healthier Communities." The Conference focuses on health disparities involved with diseases such as: Cancer (Breast, Colon, and Prostate), HIV/AIDS, Obesity, Mental Health, as well as promoting behaviors that encompass a holistic approach to community wellness and focusing on identifying evidence-base resources that has affected changes in vulnerable populations in the community. In addition to having sessions on these disparities, there will also be free health care screenings for these illnesses:
- Blood Pressure
- Mental Health
Mammograms are by appointment only; Mercy Breast Center Mammography Van will be on site to provide mammograms from 9:00 AM–3:00 PM. Please call (314) 251-5678 and mention the conference.
This conference is for nurses and other professionals in the field of health care, future nurses, and high school students, especially those in the community who are interested in addressing health care disparities, health care equity and health care promotion while “Leading the Charge for Making Healthier Communities.”
- Sigma Theta International – Nu Chi Chapter
- Office of Minority Health
- Dr. Lynn Beckwith – Endowed Professor of Urban Education, UMSL College of Education
- UMSL College of Nursing
- UMSL School of Professional & Continuing Studies
- 8:00–8:30 AM | Registration and Continental Breakfast
- 8:00 AM–3:30 PM | Exhibitors & Health Screenings
- 8:35–9:10 AM | Welcome & Intro of Mistress of Ceremony
- 9:15–10:05 AM | Morning Keynote Speaker
- 10:15–11:05 AM |Concurrent Session I
- 11:05–11:50 AM | Exhibitor Hall
- 12:00–1:00 PM | Lunch
- 1:10–2:00 PM | Concurrent Session II
- 2:10–2:30 PM | Guest Speaker
- 2:30–3:20 PM | Afternoon Keynote Speaker
- 3:25–3:45 PM | Closing Remarks
- 3:45–4:00 PM | Wrap Up & Evaluation
Fee: $50 – Continental breakfast and lunch are included.
Group rates available:
- Adult Students (non-high school students): $40 per person for a group of 15 or more
- High School Students: $30 per person for a group of 25 or more.
Space is limited, so register early.
You can only register one person through online registration. For a group, please print out the registration form (download link below) or call (314) 516-7454.
- Register Online (coming soon!)
- By Mail or Fax: Click here to download the printable registration form (mail and fax info on the form).
- By Phone: Call (314) 516-7454. MasterCard, Visa, or Discover number must be given to assure registration.
- By TDD: Call (314) 516-5961
Make checks payable to the University of Missouri–St. Louis
Guest rooms are available at the Renaissance Airport Hotel St. Louis for $79 per night. Call (314) 429-1100 for reservations and mention this conference to receive the discounted rate.