Accelerated BSN Admission Criteria
Pre-Clinical Admission Criteria
Applicants who plan to complete their general education / prerequisite coursework at the University of Missouri-St. Louis must apply to the university as a pre-clinical nursing student. It is important to note that admission as a pre-clinical nursing student does not guarantee admission into the clinical track of any of the Pre-Licensure BSN Options (Traditional, Accelerated or Part-Time Evening/Weekend), unless a student is admitted to the Traditional BSN Option under the Freshman Guaranteed Clinical Criteria.
Applicants with 24 or more transferable college credit hours* from a regionally accredited college or university who meet the following minimum criteria may qualify for admission to the nursing major as a pre-clinical student:
- Admission to UMSL
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (calculated on all attempts of all transferable undergraduate courses)
*Once an applicant has earned 24 or more transferable college credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university, we do not take ACT score and/or high school GPA into consideration for admissions purposes.
Students admitted under the Pre-Clinical Admission Criteria must still apply competitively for a clinical space (see below).
Clinical Admission Criteria
Clinical spaces are awarded on a competitive basis for each admission period. Admission to the University of Missouri St. Louis does not guarantee admission into the clinical track of the Accelerated BSN Option.
Applicants must meet the following minimum criteria to apply for a clinical space in the Accelerated BSN Option:
- Admission to UMSL
- A Baccalaureate Degree in another field of study from a regionally accredited college or university or completion of at least 62 college credit hours before the start of the program
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 for applicants with a Baccalaureate Degree or minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 for applicants without a Baccalaureate Degree (GPA is calculated based on all attempts of all transferable undergraduate courses)
- Completion of all general education course requirements
- Grade of C or higher in all prerequisite courses
- Required science courses (Chemistry, Anatomy & Physiology I, Anatomy & Physiology II and Microbiology) completed within 10 years prior to enrollment
Applicants planning to complete their general education/prerequisite coursework at an institution other than UMSL should consult an academic advisor at the College of Nursing prior to application, to ensure that such coursework meets the Colleges requirements.
Click here to view application deadlines.
* Applicants who have been dismissed from other nursing schools are ineligible for clinical admission to UMSL's Prelicensure BSN Options (i.e. Traditional, Accelerated and Part-Time). Transfer students from other nursing schools must be able to provide a letter of good standing from that school, indicating that: 1) the student was not dismissed from the program, 2) the student was in good academic standing when he or she left the program (being on academic probation is not considered to be good academic standing), and 3) would be eligible to reenroll at that program. Please call our Office of Student Services at 314-516-6066 for further details.