About the College
News and Events
Message from the Dean
Our Faculty and Staff
Pre-Licensure BSN Programs
RN to BSN Program
Post MSN Certificates
Scholarships and Loans
Student Nursing Organizations
Alumni and Friends
Giving to the College
Clinical Faculty Research Interests
Grant Services and Resources
Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Research
Richard Yakimo, PhD, RN
College of Nursing, South Campus
- BSN - Saint Louis University
- MSN - Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing, Saint Louis University
- MPE - Psychiatric Epidemiology, Washington University School of Medicine
- PhD - Nursing Research, Saint Louis University
- Post-Doctoral Research Training - Washington University School of Medicine, Psychiatric Epidemiology and Biostatistics [National Institute of Mental Health Training Grant (NIMH T32 MH17104- LB Cottler, PI)]
- Nursing Theory
- Research Methodology and Evidence-Based Practice
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Mental health needs of older adults
- Human responses to traumatic stress
- Psychosocial care of the physically ill
- Quality of care and outcome analysis
- Murray, R.B., Zentner, J.P., Yakimo, R. (Eds.), (2009). Health promotion strategiesthrough the life span (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall Health.
- Yakimo, R. (2008). Mental health promotion of the young and middle-aged adult. InM.A. Boyd (Ed.), Psychiatric nursing: Contemporary perspectives (4th ed.)., Philadelphia: Lippincott.
- Murray, R.B.,Yakimo, R., Baier, M. (2008). Care of people who are homeless andmentally ill. In M.A. Boyd (Ed.), Psychiatric nursing: Contemporary perspectives (4th ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott.
- Corley, C.S., Gray, M.Yakimo, R. (2006). Substance abuse and dependency: Networks and services to address the needs of older adults. In B. Berkman & S. D'Ambruoso (Eds.), Handbook of social work and aging. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Yakimo, R. (2003). Hands. In C. Davis & J. Schaefer (Eds.), Intensive care: More poetry and prose by nurses. Iowa City: University of Iowa Press.
- Yakimo, R. (2001). Case study: End-of-life care. In R.B. Murray & J.P. Zentner (Eds.), Health promotion strategies through the life span (7th ed.) (pp. 853-854). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall Health.
- Yancey, V., Yakimo, R., Perry, A., McPherson, T. (2008). Perceptions of pharmaceutical care among pharmacists offering compounding services. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 48,508-514.
- Yakimo, R. (2006). Outcomes in psychiatric consultation-liaison nursing. Perspectives in Psychiatric Care, 42, 59-62.
- Yakimo, R., Kurlowicz, L.H., Murray, R.B. (2004). Evaluation of outcomes in psychiatric consultation-liaison nursing practice. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 18, 215-227.
Honors and Awards
- 2008: Betty AuBuchon Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville School of Nursing.
- 2008: Biographee, Marquis Who's Who in America: 2009. Chicago: A.N. Marquis.
- 2008: Research Award, International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses, Madison, WI
- 2007: Distinguished Practitioner, Nursing Academy, National Academies of Practice (N-NAP), Washington, DC.